• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PennsylvaniaNewt OFFLINE  

PennsylvaniaNewt

• Member No: 5693
  • 49 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 03:58 PM

My starter generator was tested at a local shop. The starter portion was working fine but the generator would not charge. They took it apart and it looked like it had over heated and melted the fields. They rebuilt it however, the guy passed along some information.

He said this starter / generator had no real vent holes and no cooling fan to prevent overheating. He said if the generator is forced to put out constant high voltage (when you have a bad battery or when the battery is drawn down and then you jump start it) it makes the generator put out high voltage and as such it gets very hot and can overheat it and cause damage. He advised to always make sure the battery is good and to also put a tender charger on it if it sits for long periods of times. He said this should prevent it from overheating.

I supposed they didn't put holes or cooling fans on these because they didn't want to worry about dust getting inside.

I thought I would pass this on!
  • Bruce Dorsi, wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 04:01 PM

thanks for the tip.

#3 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,081 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 04:34 PM

The same goes for your car or truck.Alternators arn't made to charge your battery from being completely dead.If your battery is all but dead your alternator has to work that much harder and over heats.Shortens the life of the alternator.So it's alot better if you throw charger on car or truck if it sat for a while and battery died.It'll save you money in the long run.

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 05:15 PM

This was a common problem with these starter/generators.
These normally operate at temperatures around 250 degrees.

Like mentioned above,
The main thing to remember about these units is that they are meant to just maintain the battery's charge while running and are not meant to be charging a heavily drained battery all the time.