• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 12:36 AM

The diesel is currently under the fabrication knife again. I had mentioned in the past it had the small battery tray since it is a 68. That little LG battery can't handle starting the beast in cold weather without a jump. 30F is where the troubles start. I bought another tower with the big battery tray from another kind member on this forum. I got it here and found out that the tray was too low on the new tower. It was going to hit the starter solenoid on the Lister Petter, so I decided to move the new tower into the back of the shed until I had time to think exactly how it could be reworked.

The mowing and sweeping got finished right before Thanksgiving, so the tractor finally had down time. I barely was able to rework the new tower to make the Group 51 optima yellow top fit, the tray had to move up exactly 3/4" to miss the starter solenoid. The terminals are close to the hood so it got a rubber insulator on the bottom of the hood by the battery just in case. I also gave it 4 Gauge automotive battery cables. There were a few other engineering issues I chose to address while it was apart since it is essentially a prototype going through R&D.

It is really, really packed under the hood now. Its as tight as a new FWD cadillac under that hood. I'll have to post up some pics later. Hopefully, the jumper cables will see less use this winter.

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 06:06 AM

That should help this winter. I put an automotive battery in my Ford, got lucky and it fit okay. Good luck with it!

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 11:07 AM

That's the battery type I put in my diesel Bush Hog JBI tractor that I have a 25hp Kubota 3 cylinder in. It cranks her great! I had to have a skinny battery to fit under the dash tower & this one fit perfectly, length & width wise.

#4 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 07:29 PM

Nice choice, that is the same size I run in my Massey as well. If you look at a recent post of mine, I just finished putting in a t-handle battery shut off that works awesome. I will never again deal with parasitic drain!

#5 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 07:58 PM

The Optimas (AGM type) battery is designed for high amp output, starting current, you should have no trouble with that battery.

#6 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 01:17 AM

The Optimas (AGM type) battery is designed for high amp output, starting current, you should have no trouble with that battery.

The best part was the $60 price tag, a honda mechanic friend of mine had 2 of them, I should have bought both.

Tonight I drove it outside for the first test start and let it set for 2-3 hours while I did some maintnence on one of the cars. It started up with a 35 degree block temperature on the second crank with only the charge air heater. It did run along with the starter for a few seconds but being a one lung diesel its probably a miracle it starts at all cold. This was without the help of ether, or engine block / fuel tank heaters. Lots of heavy white smoke but it started without a jump. For a direct injected diesel with 33 degrees of base timing thats pretty darn good. Timing specs like that are for high RPM diesel competition engines!

Starting this thing cold reminds me alot of starting an old John Deere 820 Diesel in below freezing temps, it sounds alot like one too.

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 01:43 PM

I agree with you on the sound. My LT-1 sounds very much like an old R John Deere when idling. Just can't help but smile when I listen to it. I don't know if yours has the oil injection port for cold starting or not but after 2 years I used mine for the first time the other day and it did help with the cold starting. Sure smoked up the building though.

#8 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 12:11 AM

I agree with you on the sound. My LT-1 sounds very much like an old R John Deere when idling. Just can't help but smile when I listen to it. I don't know if yours has the oil injection port for cold starting or not but after 2 years I used mine for the first time the other day and it did help with the cold starting. Sure smoked up the building though.

The Lister Petter AC1 does have the oil port. The government manual I have it says to fill it on start up at 55 degrees, and at 32 give it two shots. I assume it is for the valve train, but it doesn't really say. I haven't really used it unless its 32 or less, I will start doing it at 55 from now on. If course now I can actually crank it over at a decent speed without a jump start. Before the air heater pulled the LG battery down enough that it cranked slow

Here are those pics, it's pretty tight under there.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 10:19 AM

Nice installation. As I recall from the owners manual, the reason for the oil injection cup is too increase the compression by sealing the rings with oil. I need to read it again and see how far to fill the cup before installing the plunger. I'd hate to hydraulically lock the engine.
I had to label some of my fuel tanks also. I could just see someone trying to help and refueling with gasoline.