• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 aftonrob OFFLINE  

aftonrob

• Member No: 7664
  • 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 07:09 PM

Hi,i have a 60's model Sears 12 with a 12hp Tecumseh with points.The wiring on these is a utter mess.Mine has the seperate regulator and heavy starter/generator.Ive found a diagram for it,but there is one problem.It doesnt show a starter solenoid.Again,this might a stupid question.Does the starter,generator have a built in solenoid.Does the igntion switch just turn it on?I had a cub cadet 149 with nearly same setup but it had a solenoid.The sears diagram does not show one.It was a witch to find a coil for this thing but i did for like 8.00.Wiring this thing is no problem but i thought i would ask for help on the solenoid.Thanks for letting me in to GTTalk.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 07:16 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk.

The original Switches that Sears / Roper used had big contacts inside the switch. They were able to handle the cranking current.

Just be sure you have the points style before wiring. It's important.

As for a replacement switch (if you need one), check with out site supporters. I'm sure one of them have one... just make sure it has the 2 big brass contacts with the screw lug locations. I will see if I can find a pt# of the replacement you're looking for.

According to Sears, the S/G starter switch has been replaced by # STD365400, if you can't find one thru our Supporters, let me know & I'll see if I can find the right one on fleabay or something for you. I think any of the following part numbers have been replaced by this new # (from an old note I had):2942-365401R, 74R, 2210R, 5797H, 7486H, 21037,71577

Edited by MH81, December 03, 2011 - 07:27 PM.

#3 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 09:18 PM

:welcometogttalk: Glad that you found the site and that Alan was able to give some good advice on your wiring problem.

#4 aftonrob OFFLINE  

aftonrob

• 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 09:32 AM

Hi,yes its definelty points.The only switches i have are the newer 5 prongs with no screw down lugs.So my next question is would a automotive switch work.The generics ones with the 3 screw down lugs that look to be brass?I have a couple of them from a old xs650 build years ago.Im thinking to go back with the original switch unless is ungodly priced.I want to restore it.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 06:05 PM

You definitely want to use an OEM switch or exact replacement. The current will burn up the contacts in one of the 5 prong jobs after a while. Also the OEM switch was a ground kill, not power kill. If you use a std 5 prong, it will either supply power where you dont want, or won't kill the spark when you shut it down. If I remember, the OEM switches were around $18. Well worth it to have the right thing & know it's good. One more q: you said coil in your 1st post, do you mean mag picked up by the flywheel magnets, or do you mean a std auto type coil?

#6 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,318 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 09:10 AM

If it's the big push button starter switch you need, they're available at Tractor Supply....

#7 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 09:26 AM

Another option would be to use a relay for the starter and active it with the start circuit of the key switch.

#8 aftonrob OFFLINE  

aftonrob

• 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 06:26 PM

I think ive had a revelation or a ephifamy about my 12hp tecumseh with points.I think i can add a electronic coil to this and solve my problems,but i would like to know what you think.This tecumseh flywheel has north and south magnets on the outside"like a briggs".In fact if need be the magnets can be turned around because they are glued and screwed down to reverse polarity if it need to.The only problem i see is finding a tecumseh coil that measures the same across for the bolt down holes and the coil has the same curvature.This isthe same process to do to a old cast iron briggs when adding a electronic coil"repolarizing it"This should work and it beats paying a fortune for a SSI box and setup.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 07, 2011 - 08:22 AM

If it has points, you can add a regular coil. Won't even need to worry about the mag/flywheel then.

#10 terry2 OFFLINE  

terry2

• Member No: 7357
  • 2 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 09:40 PM

hey I have a sears s s 12 and could use a new stsrter switch also. If anyone out there has any brake parts for a s s 12 please let me know. I am in need of a seat for the same. i have trouble getting my messages back through GTTalk so please E-Mail me at tillerterry2305ataol.com. Any motor parts that you may need you can most likely find at partstree.com.

Edited by KennyP, December 14, 2011 - 06:46 AM.
Edited e-mail

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted December 14, 2011 - 06:34 AM

Terry, please don't use full e-mail. Spybots will latch on to this and you will get all kinds of spam. Edit it similar as I have, people can still figure it out. What is the problem with the PM's you are having?