johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 02:47 PM

Miscellaneous three 150.JPG

Here is an 80 Dump Cart tag that I worked on for a guy. Unfortunately I didn't take the time to snap a before picture. The tag wasn't in real bad shape when I received it, it just had heavy green paint on it where you see the black now. The green paint was a real bear to get off, and I ended up stripping the entire tag and repainting it with black. The tag has since been returned to the owner, and he is quite pleased with how it turned out. I'm still waiting for pictures from him, to show me the completely restored dump cart with the tag attached. If and when those pictures are sent to me, I'll get them posted. 

I also wanted to say that I'm sorry for all of the previous pictures being deleted somehow on this post. Not exactly sure what happened, but I went back and reloaded them all as best as I could remember.

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 10, 2013 - 02:49 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#47 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 09:40 PM

Still looking to see if anybody has tried to do their own serial tags? Anybody? Somebody?

#48 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted February 13, 2013 - 09:46 PM

Troy, I haven't had to use it for a sn tag yet, but I was able to use some of the technique for my tortoise & hare on my 18/6 throttle plate. Very rudimentary implementing on my end, but your thread here was the inspiration.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#49 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• Member No: 3443
  • 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 07:21 PM

Any chance u do engine tags too?

#50 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 281 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted September 09, 2015 - 09:04 PM

I discovered a good source of aluminum plate for use on restoring tags. Several years ago Indiana stopped making embossed license plates and went to a flat plate. It's about the thickness of most serial # and data plates or maybe a few thousands more and 1 plate will last a long time. Course you need the stamps and such but hey, it's a good excuse to buy more tools.

#51 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted September 10, 2015 - 07:52 PM

Any chance u do engine tags too?

No, I don't do the engine tags, simply due to them being printed. I only do the tags that have raised letting or numbers. The engine tags I have tried, but while cleaning, the print always comes off and looks worse than before I started doing anything. There is a member on here that has reproduced the engine tags, however I don't think he carries every engine model or type. The ones that I bought from him were Kohler K181 and K161 tags. I'm not certain, but he may carry the K301 or K241 tags as well, but don't hold me to that. His name is Mike, and for some reason I can't remember his username. Maybe mike912E?

Edited by johndeereelfman, September 10, 2015 - 07:53 PM.