50 replies to this topic

#31 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted December 31, 2011 - 09:18 PM

Just should have taken more care getting it off. Had I'd known, I would have.

Are your numbers still legible and basic colors and shape?The decal guy locally takes a picture w/his camera puts it on computer and touches it up the way you want it then prints it out.I'm sure others do it that way also.

#32 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 01, 2012 - 11:25 AM

Are your numbers still legible and basic colors and shape?The decal guy locally takes a picture w/his camera puts it on computer and touches it up the way you want it then prints it out.I'm sure others do it that way also.

Yeah, I keep forgetting to take a picture of it. The lettering and paint are in good shape. I keep wondering if someone put it in a press with pressure if it would flatten the aluminum like an iron on cotton...

#33 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 03:32 PM

112 Serial Plate 003.JPG Mark,

Here is the 1967 112 Serial Plate that I have to offer you for your tractor. As I stated in your Private Message, it didn't turn out as good as I hoped, but considering the amount of paint that was on it, it looks a lot better than it did. Let me know if you're still interested in it, and I'll get it in the mail to you. If not, no hard feelings.

Take Care,
Troy

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 10, 2013 - 12:18 PM.

• markdombroski said thank you

#34 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 06:26 PM

Cookiemonster,

Try putting the tag between the pages of a thick book, and then stacking weight on top of it? Might just flatten it out enough, and if it does, apply some 3M spray adhesive to the back of it, and reattach it to your tractor when done.

#35 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 07:46 PM

Troy, have you had any luck restoring the metal tags on the early Kohler engines? The ones that are mounted on the head heat shield.

Mark

#36 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 22, 2012 - 09:54 PM

MAV,

I have not. Due to not having the raised letter on them, they are almost impossible to clean up, without removing everything. I am however, giving some serious thought to getting decals made, that are the exact size of the aluminum plate, and having the block cut out, so that the original serial and spec numbers show, so that we can have that professional look to our engines as well. Those tags are getting harder and harder to find in real nice shape, and most of the ones that I have, have either been destroyed by a wire wheel, sand blaster, or are missing half of the wording. I would get them made with black print on silver background, so all we would have to do, is peel and stick. I know there are guys out there that already sell reproduction plates with the printing directly on the aluminum tag, just like the originals, which costs some high dollar money, but if I can get decals made, I'll be just as happy. Once the time of getting the design and lettering in the computer is complete, my decal guy can print out as many as needed, anytime I need them. The major cost is getting everything set up for the first print. After that, the decals don't cost as much. It's just a matter of getting the time and money together, and getting down to the decal shop to get it done, that's holding me back. I'm wanting to get some made for both the K161 and K181 motors, for the round fenders. I already have a few of the K181 serial number decals, and spec number decals made, copied from a previous flat fendered 110 that I did, but I don't like them, due to them all having the same serial and spec number. If and when this time comes, I'll let you know, but you'll probably have already found something else until then though. Sorry I couldn't help you out with your need right now.

I'm giving some serious thought as to becoming an East Coast HAPCO distributor, so I'm looking to add these decals to my line of inventory, if this all goes through. I have the OK with Brandon, but money just isn't rolling in my favor right now. If you or anyone else, has a better game plan as to reproducing these tags, please let me know, as I'm open to suggestions. I'm not looking to do the distributorship to make money or get rich, I'm just trying to help Brandon and HAPCO branch out more, and make his inventory more accessible to the collectors. Plus, it gives me an excuse to get to more tractor shows, but don't tell that to my wife!

#37 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6157
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hi Troy, I am not disappointed and will contact you through private message. - Mark

#38 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 07:57 PM

No problem Troy I had thought about doing the decal also but thought I would ask you first if you had found a way to clean them up. Mine is yellowed, I am sure from the heat of the engine.

Great to hear that about you thinking about becoming a distributor for HAPCO hope eerything goes well for you with this. I have not talked with Brandon for a long time but things sure seem to working out for him.

Are you and your son thinking about coming to the John Deere Expo in Springfield Ohio this year? If you have never been to one of the Expo's you really need to check it out.

Mark

#39 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 23, 2012 - 08:47 PM

Never been to the one in Ohio. I showed at the one in New York a couple of times, but never made the Ohio Expo. Might just have to make the time and check it out.

Thanks for the invite!

#40 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 06:18 PM

Bush Hog Pictures 003.JPG Misc. 2 643.JPG

Bush Hog Pictures 004.JPG Misc. 2 645.JPG

MF-7 Before                            MF-7 After
Bush Hog Pictures 005.JPG Misc. 2 644.JPG

MF-8 Before                            MF-8 After
Thanks to my good friend, and fellow member ckjakline (Craig), who lent me some of his extra Massey serial plates, I got to try restoring a different brand of tractor tag, even though the technique is still the same. I think they turned out pretty good. Craig also gave me a MF-10 and a MF-12 tag, (shown below) which I'm still working on. The MF-12 has, what we believe, a coating of gray primer over it, which doesn't seem to want to come off very easily. The MF-10 is really corrided, with a lot of bublles under the black base coat, which is coming off with each attempt of cleaning, so this one will most likely be a repaint. I'll post the after pictures of both the MF-10 and MF-12 tags when I'm done.

Bush Hog Pictures 002.JPG Bush Hog Pictures 001.JPG
MF-10                                   MF-12

Thanks again Craig, for helping me out with the practice!

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 10, 2013 - 02:31 PM.

• tinner, sacsr and ckjakline have said thanks

#41 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted February 04, 2012 - 10:49 PM

Wow Troy they look preety good.Nice job.Good luck with the 12 tag!

#42 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 08, 2012 - 09:08 PM

I was just curious to see if anybody has tried restoring their serial plates yet, and if so, would you be willing to show us some pictures?

#43 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 12:31 AM

That's some nice work Troy.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#44 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted May 09, 2012 - 06:22 PM

There was once a printing shop that made tags and would make some from your samples if he didn't have one like it. They were for my MM. Steiners now has those same plates I think in their catalog. But, this guy had pix of many brands. They are new aluminum, and not just printed but etched or ?? process that won't wear off. He even stamped mine with better cleaner stamps that don't gouge or dimple the plate. Seems place was M and S something?? Not sure I have info now or not. Well, found the info. Have a little catalog with pictures. D and D 840 12th street NW
Mason City, Iowa 50401 641-424-2535 Was long ago, but call and see if still doing them. Mine were great and looked like the orignals. Not sure if on-line, no link in book.

#45 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 08:22 PM

Does anybody have any serial plates that they would be willing to send to me for clean up? I really enjoy doing these, and since all of my tags are finished, I'm looking for some more work to do. Looking for just the aluminum tags, doesn't matter if they are painted over, as I like the challenge, and it doesn't matter what brand they are off of. I'm an hoenst man, and will send them back to you when I am finished. As of right now, I'm willing to do them for free. Since I'd like to do these on a regular basis, I'd really like to get my name out there, and give the collectors some interest in getting them done. Let me know if anybody can or would be willing to help. If for some reason I feel that I would do more damage then good, I will contact you and let you know in advance, as I will not take a chance on ruining a tag.

If interested, send me a PM, and I'll give you my phone number and address. Thanks in advance guys!

Troy