#16 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 11:14 PM

One more thing to add to Casey's inclusion. Make WD-40 your friend. Especially the ones that have a lot of paint on them. The WD-40 will not only soften the paint for better removal, but will also act as a lubricant between the steel wool and the base coat. The base coat will be hard, and will come off if enough presure is applied, but the added paint that you're trying to remove, will be a little softer, and usually doesn't stick to the base coat enough to have to use a lot of hard presure. Again, let the WD-40 do most of your work for you. Rub the steel wool over and over, with plenty of WD-40 in between, and you'll have good results. The two pictures that are side-by-side, by themselves, are good proof!

Take your time, and don't be in a hurry.
  • dstaggs, wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#17 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 08:02 AM

Very valuable info Troy, thanks for sharing with us. Always better to learn from someone who has "been there, done that", than to OOOPS when trying it yourself.
:thumbs::thumbs:
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#18 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 08:49 AM

Troy, thanks for the tutorial. I love how people here share ideas for everyone to learn. Keep up the good work!

#19 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 09:28 PM

Serial Tags 004.JPG

Serial Tags 005.JPG

Well, here is the same plate again, from above. The clean picture, from the previous two pictures above, wasn't down to the original base coat of black like I thought it was. After removing the layer of black, I came across a layer of red, which had to be removed in order to get to the original base coat of black. Anyway, after trying to remove all of the red, I ended up taking off some of the base coat black, and so I decided I'll have to repaint the tag. As you can see from these new attached pictures, I gave the plate a thin coat of gloss black, and then sat down and carefully went over the high edges of the raised aluminum border, letters and numbers, with a flat head dentist pick. It turned out decent. I still want to go over it lightly with fine steel wool, and then give it two thin coats of clear gloss enamel paint. Hopefully you guys can see, that with a little time, patience, and effort, these old tags can look as good as new again. Enjoy!

Troy

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 10, 2013 - 11:59 AM.

• MAV, tinner and sacsr have said thanks

#20 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 19, 2011 - 10:14 PM

just the other day i was wondering how somebody would go about cleaning one of those. stop lying to us... no way its possible to clean those tags that good, i think you started off with a good tag and painted over it... haha only kidding, good technique and i will use it if i have to redo a tag.

#21 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,081 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 08:11 PM

Nice job troy.At first when yoiu said about working on a plate that was painted i thought it may have been one of the plates on the frames you got from me.

#22 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 08:13 PM

Nice job troy.At first when yoiu said about working on a plate that was painted i thought it may have been one of the plates on the frames you got from me.

I have brought that plate that you're talking about in Craig. It will be next, and also a good challenge! I'll keep you post on the progress.

#23 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• 1,081 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 08:58 PM

Good luck on that one.The paint is what,maybe 1/4"thick.

#24 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 10:11 PM

Serial Plates - 3 001.JPG

Here's the plate you are refering to Craig. Isn't she beautiful? Got my work cut out for me on this one.

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 10, 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#25 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 10:28 PM

Serial Tags 001.JPG Serial Plates - 3 032.JPG Serial Plates - 3 033.JPG

Here are some more pictures for those of you that may be interested in viewing. The first picture is what the plates look like after I give them a coat of gloss black spray paint. Next, you can see from the exposed aluminum, I already started scraping away the black paint from the high spots of the aluminum letters.

Here are pictures of before and after shots of a tag that I completed this week. I think it turned out to look pretty nice, and I can't wait to put it back on the tractor.

Serial Plates 005.JPG Serial Plates - 3 036.JPG

I have been contacted by a few guys, asking if I'd be interested in doing tags over for them, or if I'd be interested in doing this as a side job for people. I never really gave it much thought until the requests starting coming in, but after thinking about it for a while, I guess I would be willing to do it. So, with that said, if any of you guys would want me to touch up tags for you, just let me know. I'd be willing to work with you, and helping you out as much as I can. I'm really starting to enjoy doing them.

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 10, 2013 - 12:15 PM.

• dstaggs said thank you

#26 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• 1,081 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 10:49 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27287[/ATTACH]

Here's the plate you are refering to Craig. Isn't she beautiful? Got my work cut out for me on this one.

It'll look as good as new when your done with it troy.

#27 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted December 29, 2011 - 10:51 PM

Troy, those are turning out new, not just "pretty nice". You're doing a fantastic job.

#28 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 12:18 AM

The one on the panzer was a sticker and come off like thick tin foil. It was rusted under the edges so it had to come off. Now it's wrinkled and I just keep it in a drawer. Doubt anyone would have a fix for that one.

#29 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• 1,081 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted December 30, 2011 - 09:14 PM

The one on the panzer was a sticker and come off like thick tin foil. It was rusted under the edges so it had to come off. Now it's wrinkled and I just keep it in a drawer. Doubt anyone would have a fix for that one.

You could get a decal made to put on your tractor,and keep the original if it's needed for whatever reason.

#30 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 31, 2011 - 12:41 AM

You could get a decal made to put on your tractor,and keep the original if it's needed for whatever reason.

Just should have taken more care getting it off. Had I'd known, I would have.