Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

68 110 8hp Kohler starter motor question.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7048
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 02:13 PM

Ok Guys and gals. I got a question for anyone who can help me out.

The starter on my 110 is pretty much shot 400cca battery barely spins starter motor over. I took it apart and brushes are pretty much non existant and the copper wire windings are coming apart. I looked online for new starter and JD wants around $150 for new one. So I looked else where for aftermarket.

Here is diagram of starter that was on it originally AM31754...

110 Starter.jpg

JD states that you are to sub that starter with AM34361 which is this one....

110 Starter Replacement.jpg

The part number I used was AM34361 as a replacement starter

So I purchased it and it arrived today. Took it out of box and went to install it and it will not work at all without modifying engine cover shroud. Am I missing something or is JD full of donkey doo?

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 02:23 PM

Ken, Sorry for your issues with the starter. If it were mine, I would return the starter and tell them that it is not the right one for your engine. I would also check with the Site Sponsor guys on here to see if any of them have a good used one. I buy a lot of used starters and other item from these guys and always check with them first. If I can't find one here, I will look on evilbay and get stuff there. Starters for these engine will last forever. Also there are some brush kits on evilbay, so you can replace them yourself. I hope this helps...

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 03:27 PM

If John Deere gave that sub number, then the flubbed up. Yours requires mount tabs on the top, while the sub has mount tabs underneath (as mounted).

#4 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 05:03 PM

Ken, Sorry for your issues with the starter. If it were mine, I would return the starter and tell them that it is not the right one for your engine. I would also check with the Site Sponsor guys on here to see if any of them have a good used one. I buy a lot of used starters and other item from these guys and always check with them first. If I can't find one here, I will look on evilbay and get stuff there. Starters for these engine will last forever. Also there are some brush kits on evilbay, so you can replace them yourself. I hope this helps...

Ya evilbay is where I got it from and I contacted them to see what they are going to do about it. They also have another starter for sale for same part number cross reference but of different style that looks closer to original but not quite. I think it is going to need more than a brush kit to get it going. The copper end of the armature is worn pretty badly and not much left of it from what I can see.

If John Deere gave that sub number, then the flubbed up. Yours requires mount tabs on the top, while the sub has mount tabs underneath (as mounted).

Yes I agree. I may visit John Deere Monday and see what they have to say about what fits it.

#5 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 12:22 AM

I got a hold of a starter out of a 72 K181 and it is different than the 68 K181. It looks like the starter I bought would work as a replacement for the 72. The 68 is a United Tech. Model No. SME12A 12 while the 72 is a Bosch Model No. SMH12-A6.

No matter where I go to look at cross reference it always points me to the starter I purchased.

IMG0076A.jpg

Left is from a 1972 Serial #253,586 (or close to that anyway) JD 110. JD Part #AM34361. BOSCH MODEL NO. SMH12-A6.

Center is the one I purchased.

Right is from a 1968 Serial #102,534 JD 110. JD Part #AM31754, UNITED TECH. MODEL NO. SME12A 12

Notice the difference in the drive gear areas.

The center is more suitable for newer Bosch model starters and not older united Tech starters. The rubber piece behind the front gear is too large to go through hole in engine shroud.

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 06:42 AM

Can you have it rebuilt? Most starter rebuilders can handle it.

#7 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 04:59 PM

Not sure if parts are still available to be rebuild except for brushes. I know they are. But I had thought about it.

#8 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 05:43 PM

I have my S/G rebuilt without any problems. Last one I had done was about $90, still cheaper then new.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 07:00 PM

A motor shop can rebuild that and supply you with new brushes. Often you can get extra life out of them by preemptively taking them apart, cleaning up the commutator and replacing the brushes before they wear out.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 03:35 PM

A good starter/generator shop should be able to fix yours. I'd look into that. I found one here in Tulsa that will get my business when the time comes.

#11 KenM OFFLINE  

KenM

• Contributor
  • 50 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for the info guys. But I just found something interesting while searching for a replacement/parts starter. The newer style starters (not sure when they changed styles) had to have a larger opening in the bearing plate behind the flywheel. If you enlarge the older ones the newer style starters will work. Is this correct and common practice? I must have the smaller diameter hole in bearing plate since newer starters will not fit properly. If this is correct and common practice then I will just enlarge the hole and not send the starter back.