• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Sydrio76 OFFLINE  

Sydrio76

• Member No: 7361
  • 1 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted December 02, 2011 - 06:40 PM

Sorry if this gets posted twice. I have had a lot of help from the guys in the walk behind forum so Im hoping someone knows this implement. I have a early 60s chor trac made by simplicity. I have a tiller attachment for it and I just found a cultivator. I have looked at a lot of the implements and mine looks backwards. can anyone tell me if the one I have is just a different version or did someone weld this like this? any help would be great. thank you.
cultivator2.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• cultivator1.jpg

#2 brokenfeather OFFLINE  

brokenfeather

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6294
  • 24 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted December 02, 2011 - 07:37 PM

Could it be the the one you have is for mounting on the front? They have built one for the front and rear or at least that is my understanding. The one you have pictured looks like a rear mount that I have seen. BTW do you have a picture of yours that we could see, to compare? BTW I have actually been looking for one of these to add to my collection. It seems when I find one it is with another tractor or is 2 gagillion miles away.

#3 Sydrio76 OFFLINE  

Sydrio76

• 1 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted December 02, 2011 - 09:23 PM

I saw one on ebay for sale in Kentucky. The one pictured above is the one I have just purchased. Some guy didnt know it was for a simplicity and was dragging it around with his ATV with a piece of angle iron for the hitch. Thats why I was wondering if its backwards. I dont think its the front one because it has the hitch. The hitch is identical to the others ive seen just the layout seems wrong to compared to the others. Here is a link of one that Ive seen online to compare.
Parts and Diagrams for Simplicity 990205 - Cultivator For Use With Two Wheel Tractors

#4 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 01:18 AM

well parts of it are on backward for a rear mounted unit and some of it dont belong on there at all. Should be a small crank that adjusts the unit on the top.

Brokenfeather: i got a whole one i would part with,, PM me?

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 07:18 AM

Here's a pic of mine. Other than the handle being taken off by me, it doesn't appear to have been changed around much since the day it was built.
http://gardentractor...cultivator-jpg/

#6 Sydrio76 OFFLINE  

Sydrio76

• 1 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 09:16 AM

what is some of the measurements of yours because mine looks bigger, is it possible that mine is just for a 4 wheel garden tractor and not for the 2 wheel version. mines about 25" at the wheels and at the closest part to the hitch its 32"

#7 brokenfeather OFFLINE  

brokenfeather

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 24 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 10:19 AM

If you compare the two cultivators you will notice that the first one has the wheels mounted on the rear bar where as the one of lauber1 the wheels are mounted in the proper location. Some one changed it around for some reason.

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 01:29 PM

i beleive that part of the problem here is the units the shanks go on are left and right hand. This explains the half welded thing, because in fact they would be, so the whole gang can be adjusted up/down completely, or you can set each indivigil shank.
I havent posted my picture yet, but since it decided to rain hard most of the day, it will have wait until sunday.

There is another vator unit built that used a handle to raise and lower the units. This was so you didnt have to lift the handles for the turns. Mostly you find it with Midland tractors, but it fits on either one.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 02:13 PM

what is some of the measurements of yours because mine looks bigger, is it possible that mine is just for a 4 wheel garden tractor and not for the 2 wheel version. mines about 25" at the wheels and at the closest part to the hitch its 32"

Mine is not here right now where I can measure, but I'd say it's < 32" wide. It looks like yours is for a bigger walk behind or 4 wheel GT. Does it have the handle on it? If so, I'd say it's for a bigger walk behind.

Also, mine doesn't have the "steps" forward.

#10 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 03:46 PM

Here's mine... about 25" at it's widest point of the frame; 26.5" at the wheels. It came with a mid-sized walk behind (M) and had no handle, although the ad for it shows one

Attached Thumbnails

• 002.jpg
  • 001.jpg

#11 Sydrio76 OFFLINE  

Sydrio76

• 1 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 10:24 PM

Mine is not here right now where I can measure, but I'd say it's < 32" wide. It looks like yours is for a bigger walk behind or 4 wheel GT. Does it have the handle on it? If so, I'd say it's for a bigger walk behind.

Also, mine doesn't have the "steps" forward.

No, the handle is missing they put a bar on it for adjustment.

#12 Sydrio76 OFFLINE  

Sydrio76

• 1 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 10:29 PM

I think I can make it work but do you guys think I need to tear it all apart and weld it up the way you guys have them or Is this too much drag for my 3hp briggs if its meant to go on a larger walk behind?

#13 brokenfeather OFFLINE  

brokenfeather

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 24 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 08:53 AM

I don't believe you will need to do any welding on it. You should be able to disassemble it and reassemble it as per the drawing in the parts brake down on your second post. As I said in my first post I truly believe someone assemble it for there own particular need. Unless there is something that I can't see in your pictures you should be able to just loosen some bolts slide the parts off as needed and put them where they belong and re-tighten. As far as hp required to pull this unit I'll just about bet that the 3.5 will handle it. If not remove a pair of the sweeps or shovels and see if that helps.
Is the center rear sweep or shovel welded on or is it also held with a clamp device. If it's held with a clamp remove it. That one was added I'll bet.
Also the adjustment method for the wheel height is somewhat different. It should work fine. The screw is more positive but slower to adjust. Also more apt to seize from rust. Take you time don't start cutting or welding until you have a good solid game plan put together. Good luck I think you have a unit there that will do the job with out much more that applying some WD-40 and some wrenches.
Hope this helps
  • Sydrio76 said thank you

#14 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 10:44 AM

simp 001.jpg ok heres a picture of mine and a couple of other items. I didnt measure it, but id say it not 32" wide. Looks to be set up for narrow running.
  • Sydrio76 said thank you

#15 Sydrio76 OFFLINE  

Sydrio76

• 1 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 10:50 AM

I see. you got some nice implements it looks almost all of them. What is the cart? It looks like it has a gear on it?