• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 covus OFFLINE  

covus

• Member No: 7523
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 02, 2011 - 11:54 AM

I do have all manuals from Ariens but since I never saw the thing working properly and nothing seems missing or broken, I can't find what's going wrong! I do set the selector to rear hydraulic, the cylinder is going in/out (actually front and center shafts are working properly) but rear isn't moving at all. I posted few pics, I'll try to add more.

cylinder_out.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• cylinder_in.jpg
  • cylinder_in_rear_shaft_up.jpg
  • cylinder_in_cams_view.jpg

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 02, 2011 - 04:07 PM

Welcome to GTTalk covus. I have no experience with those tractors but it looks like the black cylinder is moving back and forth when the rod extends. Usually the rod end moves and the cylinder end stays put. Perhaps this is how it is supposed to work, but I would check the end of the cylinder to see if it is connected properly to the tractor.
Let us know what you find.

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted December 02, 2011 - 09:03 PM

I'm not sure what series tractor you have. The older 931 series that I have when you move your selector from front to back, it unlocks one side of your cylinder and latches the other side. This is how they got one cylinder for front and rear lift, the downside is you cant use both at once. If the cylinder is in midstroke it wont latch. Try latching to the back and lifting up until it is fully closed or open, not sure which. I cant remember which side latches for the back, will check in the morning.

#4 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted December 02, 2011 - 11:18 PM

The lever on the outside of the frame is supposed to move a bar on the inside the frame, which then changes what the cylinder pushes against. This is how it lifts the rear implement, rather than the front/mid. I know that is kind of a crummy description, but it's been awhile since I was last messing around with the rear implement lift. Anyway, the problem I've had is that the bar inside the frame is frozen in place. I had to hit it with some PB blast and force it up and down a few times to get it to move. I never did have much luck getting it loose enough to allow the lever to engage it. I've had to bang it back and forth with a screwdriver and a hammer every time I need to switch between the two.

#5 covus OFFLINE  

covus

• Member No: 7523
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 02, 2011 - 11:32 PM

Thanks all! Yep, there's a bar that is supposed to be moving with lever on side of GT. It's not, springs don't seems to do the job and rust froze the bar on his pivot point. Clean it, soaked the thing with aeoronautical lube and it's moving when pushing/pulling the bar, but not while using lever... :mad2:

I will try to make the bar move more easily but still, I think the lever won't work. I'm not sure if I've factory spring on the lever, and since Ariens sell them $8 each, I'll go get new longer and stronger springs locally. I'll keep you updated.

#6 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 02, 2011 - 11:34 PM

:welcometogttalk:, and good luck with your fix.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 05:35 AM

Glad to hear you are getting it sorted out.

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 06:14 AM

Good to hear you got the problem figured out.