Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Nominations Now Being Accepted for Featured Tractor of the Month for January 2012!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

#31 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 06:06 AM

Wow all I can say is,
This is going to be a tough decision!

Keep those nominations coming guys!

You got that right ,Brian.

#32 wrbourget OFFLINE  

wrbourget

• Member No: 6649
  • 28 Thanks
  • 138 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 08:33 AM

Any action video's of these nominated machines in "snow removal action" would be super as well!

No snow yet ?

#33 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 08:54 AM

Yepper, a tough choice indeed. I'll have to go through a reread all the nominations before I place a vote. Thanks to all who are nominating their tractors this month!

#34 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 10:07 AM

I would like to nominate my Ford LGT 145.
PC200052.jpg

The 145 was my Grandfather's garden tractor. My dad saved it from being scrapped after grandpa passed away in 2003, and when I got married in 2004 and had a need for lawn mower and garden tractor Dad got the 145 going and gave it to me. The only attachment we had for the tractor was the mower deck. In the winter of 2004 I bought a agri-fab blade and we did some work to make it fit the 145. Winter 2004 was the first year I pushed snow with the 145.

Fast forward to the fall of 2009 and I found the soft side cab on craigslist new in the box for $35. It was a 3 sided cab mainly designed for used with a snow blower to keep you for getting covered in snow. With some work I used it as a starting point for building a cab. Also since previously the blade was manual lift, I did some work and made the blade hydro lift.

The cab isn't insulated but it keeps the wind off me and actually held in some heat, There were a few times when the temperature was in the teens and I was able to plow snow with out gloves, a hat, or a jacket on.

Here is a video of the blade lift,

Here is a video from the day the action pictures were taken

and here is a older video of me blading snow before the cab install

Attached Thumbnails

• closeup.jpg
  • P1070059.jpg
  • DSC07008.jpg

#35 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 08, 2011 - 05:55 PM

No snow yet ?

The weather prophets are calling for 5 -9 inches of snow tonight and tomarrow. Hope I can get a video of some snow moving going on. Will be at work all day so hope it last till Saturday.

#36 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 04:56 AM

Well guys it has been a long time coming. There aren't very many photos of the Torq on the internet and I suppose some will 'frown' upon me nominating my tractor for this honor.

The time was November of 2010, I had decided to get a snowblower, I started to look around and Found a Ford LGT145 that was pretty nice it had a nice blower attached and was going to be perfect for my application. So, I went to look at it and was pretty impressed. At the same time another tractor a Case 224 showed up on Craigslist about 2 hours from my house...so I did what any normal red blooded American would do I went to the tractor forums and asked a 'general' question. I only had a couple of photos of the two tractors they were downloaded from Craigslist. Since I wasn't really a regular I didn't know what to expect.

Within about a half hour of the post I got a Private message telling me to 'take the photos off the site' and to go get the tractor no matter what. The guy explained to me that there were collectors that would and I quote "Throw their mothers under a bus for that tractor", and if I bought it and didn't like it he would drive up from KY and double my purchase price for it. I live in NWest Ohio. I am like What? for a Garden Tractor? Simply did not make any sense to me...

So I then thought let me see...what my buddy 'Google' has to say about all of this since I didn't know much about the topic. and at the time the GW McGrew company wrote and I quote "Very rare 1974 Case torq 224 tractor with 48” mower deck. Tractor is all original but is rough, features a high torq orbital drive motor on the transaxle. Is one of three total Case torq tractors known to exist and one of only two Case 224 torq tractors." (Mine was unknown at this time, and as it turns out mine is in the best original condition of all!)

This peaked my interest, I called the man at once and talked with him about the tractor. He said it was sold to him very cheaply by his neighbor who bought it new in 1974 from a local dealer. He said his son had been cutting his grass for about 15 years or so using his own tractor so the Case tractor has been sitting in the barn covered. When he told his neighbor he was going to buy a tractor to cut grass because his was broke...the neighbor said 'I have this one sitting in the barn, hasn't run in many years but was good whenever he needed it. So the guy bought it. Well he decided he wanted a loader tractor to to real digging' so he decided to sell this one. He had it up on Craigslist for since Halloween and had 2 inquiries both looking for big wheel tractors. He said it had a deck, a blower and chains with it, plus an extra generator.

I told him I would be up in the morning to look at it. So I looked at it and was amazed at its 'originality' and 'condition'. I decided to purchase it, actually because of the conversation with the internet guy...who subsequently he and I became friends, we exchanged numbers and he talked with me and put me in touch with 'other Case collectors'...After I purchased this tractor I had a conversation with no fewer than 3 collectors and I wasn't even home yet. Little did I know the best was just coming.

The guy couldn't get it started so he dropped the price by $50 :-). But I could see it was awesome. With the guidance of another Case collector it was determined that my tractor needed basic stuff...so I did the fuel lines, filter, cleaned the carb, flushed the tank, and my coil was bad. So 2 days later it was running. I mounted the snowcaster and the steering wheel was stripped which is why the snowcaster looked new. So I put on a new steering wheel. By the time the first substantive snowfall hit the tractor was ready.

Last year we had a lot of snow and I had fun on my new 'Torq'...in fact that little tractor has led to me owning 20+ tractors. I primarily use it for snow removal, although from time to time I use it to drag leaves from the backyard to the front.

Kindest regards to everyone at GT Talk for considering my tractor for this honor!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGGn2OFvSWs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWGMpKH-_6A

Attached Thumbnails

• torq1.jpg
  • torq224-5.jpg
  • torq4.jpg
  • torq3.jpg
  • torq2.jpg

Edited by NUTNDUN, December 14, 2011 - 07:13 AM.
merged posts to add videos.

#37 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 05:15 AM

Like already stated,this is looking like it will be a tough month to pick a winner.There is a lot of nice ones to choose from.

#38 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 05:30 AM

And it's getting tougher with each new entry!

#39 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 05:34 AM

You said it,Kenny.

#40 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 07:22 AM

Like already stated,this is looking like it will be a tough month to pick a winner.There is a lot of nice ones to choose from.

You said it,Kenny.

You guys are right!!!
Since I posted mine, then all the rest that came afterward, now I am not sure that I will even vote for ME:confuse::confuse:. Nice bunch of equipment listed here!!

#41 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 07:33 AM

Since I posted mine, then all the rest that came afterward, now I am not sure that I will even vote for ME:confuse::confuse:. Nice bunch of equipment listed here!!

That's what I am thinking. There is an awful lot of great entries.

#42 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 12:10 PM

I think I will sit this one out, none of mine have as great a stories behind them as some this month. Good luck guys
  • CASENUT said thank you

#43 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 10, 2011 - 12:26 PM

I think I will sit this one out, none of mine have as great a stories behind them as some this month. Good luck guys

Oh come on Casey, I'm sure you could dream up a real hoot of a story! :bigrofl: :smilewink:
Yes, a tough bunch to choose from! And nominations aren't even finished yet!!

#44 danfriday OFFLINE  

danfriday

• Member No: 6510
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 12:57 AM

This is my 1987 Bolens AJ Foyt tractor that I purchased this past June. It came with the thrower and mower attachments all for $500.
With only 100 and something hours on it it has less hours than my 2006 Cub Cadet. I figured it was a great deal for just the blower alone and I would have a spare mower in Summer . I did cut a few lawns with it when I first got it and it worked quite well. I put the thrower attachment on in September and have been waiting for snow ever since.

A couple of months ago I started looking for a cab for it and was thinking I would probably have to settle with something I would have to refabricate because there aren't many of these around. I was at a local Cub Cadet dealer and found out they used to sell Bolens and had a few scrap mowers out back of which a couple had cabs on. After looking around and trying to decide which one would require the least amount of work to get to fit my tractor the owner approached me and asked which model I had. After I told him he informed me he had a brand new one that had been up in their attic for over 10 years. They used to sell them for over $1000 and let me have it for $300. He just was happy to see that someone could get some use out of it. And I was VERY happy with the price :D We did get a few inches of wet snow yesterday and it worked quite well. Looking forward to our first BIG storm and will submit video .

Attached Thumbnails

• 5V25Z45S03p43ob3l8b9m213377787af11b45.jpg
  • 5Y65R05S43n43me3p6b9mf87555243a3613ff.jpg
  • blower.jpg
  • cab1.jpg
  • cab3.jpg
  • cab2.jpg

Edited by danfriday, December 12, 2011 - 01:06 AM.

#45 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 12, 2011 - 06:34 AM

Alright gang, you have till this evening to get your nominations in. I will close the nominations tonight and get the voting started :D