Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 10:16 AM

I guess I would need to see the engine

There are some pictures at http://gardentractor...one-9186/page2/ - scroll down

As you can see there really isn't anything that can be removed to reduce the height - if the fuel tank was and issue I could certainly convert the original tractor tank (which I would plan on doing after the rest of the conversion is completed). The exhaust could be replaced relatively easily if it is an issue but I will wait to see how it fits into things first. When I have pulled the Kohler engine I plan to make some good comparison measurements and post them here in case it might help others in similar situations.

These engines are kind of deceptive in size. I think because they look similar to gasoline engines we are used to we tend to associate them size-wise in our minds. They really are very beefy and somewhat larger overall. Not big enough to be a deal killer as candidates for repower projects, but certainly requiring a really big shoehorn.

JN

#17 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 10:30 AM

how much wider is the diesel than the kohler? Is the kohler mounting plate to the top or the bottom of the frame rails? Maybe the frame can be bowed out where the engine is and brought back in at for the front axle and grille so you can drop the engine.
How much taller is the diesel? if its not too much maybe you could space up the grille and dash tower kind of like a body lift on a truck?
They great part about hydraulic drive is you can move that engine anywhere you want! What if you turn the engine 90 degrees? will that let it drop down between the frame rails?

#18 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,412 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 10:51 AM

Yup , the same as my generator, I bet if you did some creative mounts you could get it down in there , Im not sure how wide the frame is on the 222 case, my Fords are only like 11" wide and the Kohlers hang in them ?

#19 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 09:40 AM

The original engine mount plate straddles the top of the frame rails. I don't have a measurement of the distance between frame rails but it is too narrow for the engine - especially since my current plan is to mount the engine with the crank in-line with the chassis as the original engine was. This results in the wide dimension of the engine base sitting across the frame rails so that it would be impossible to widen the frame rails enough to accommodate lowering it.

The fact that the tractor uses the hydraulic drive does make the conversion somewhat more flexible since the drive pump could be located practically anywhere. That said, I would like to retain the belt drive PTO off the front of the engine to power the mowing deck, snow blower, etc. Those could be converted to hydraulic drive but that would push the project far beyond the practical limits I have set for it.

I appreciate all of the suggestions, but I don't have answers to them yet. A lot of the questions will be answered once I get a chance to push the tractor in the barn, pull the old Kohler engine and start test fitting things.

JN

#20 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted December 06, 2011 - 04:36 PM

if you finish your repower before i finish the bolens i need hood modification ideas!!!

#21 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted December 06, 2011 - 05:32 PM

I'll be glad to share but I doubt I will get a chance to really dig into it until at least the Christmas holiday. I'll be sure to take pictures as things develop.

JN