#16 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 10:34 AM

Agreed regarding taper shafts. I don't think that most taper shafts have keyways. I would think that one advantage of the taper is that you don't have to align the key when assembling to driven components that totally hide the mating area. A minimal bolt tightening the taper connection together would provide tremendous torque transfer.

#17 jimw OFFLINE  

jimw

• Member No: 3170
  • 7 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 07:43 AM

I bought a 14 hp Briggs V twin with a tapered shaft from a generator, hoped to use it to repower a Case 446 that originally had a 16 hp Onan.
After much searching for info i thought of a simple solution. I have a fairly good size lathe in my shop so i pulled the pull start assembly from the
engine and underneath it there is an approximately 3 inch diameter metal hub. Set the whole engine up in my lathe, put the hub in the chuck.
Put the tapered shaft end onto a live center on the tail stock. Put a couple wood blocks under the engine so it would not rock. Pulled the spark
plugs out, put the lathe on a slow speed and turned the shaft down to 1.0 straight shaft. Simple setup, came out perfect. Same idea could be used
on any other tapered shaft engine. Maybe took an hour once i figured out how to do it.
No engine teardown, no adapter needed !
Jim
  • olcowhand, ducky, Boss 448 and 4 others have said thanks

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,262 Thanks
  • 28,604 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 08:04 AM

Jim, :welcome: to GTTalk,
Sounds like a workable fix, thanks.
Did you cut a keyway into the shaft too?

#19 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 10:38 AM

Set the whole engine up in my lathe, put the hub in the chuck.

Sweet!!!!! I sure would like to have seen that. I don't suppose you took video or pictures, did you?

I bow to your ingenuity! :worshippy1:

JN

#20 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 11:46 AM

I love the way you think! :thumbs:

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,595 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 12:15 PM

I Set the whole engine up in my lathe
Jim

Never thought of that Jim! Even in my 10" South Bend, If the oil pan was dropped, most small engines would fit right onto it. Great thinking Jim!

#22 jimw OFFLINE  

jimw

• Member No: 3170
  • 7 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 16, 2012 - 07:31 PM

It was so simple of an idea i have don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner. I had visions of bolting the engine
to my milling machine and running the engine and the mill at the same time. Did not like that idea to well to even
try it.
I did mill a key way in it later for the lovejoy.
Here is the 446 i saved from the junk man that was missing the engine. Had a sleeve hitch and hydraulic PTO on it.
I made some new hubs and bolted on some 22 inch tall tires on 12 inch rims. Currently being used strictly for some
wood hauling and powering a 8000 lb hydraulic winch to pull the logs to a landing. Its weighted down well, home made
100 lbs per axle on the rear and a 130lb weight bar bolted to the frame above the snap fast hitch on the front so i can
still use front blade etc. Does push a snow blade good as well, has a 1 inch thick rubber cutting edge on it,
JimBigfoot 446.jpg

#23 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 17, 2012 - 09:51 AM

Welcome to the Save the Case/Ingersoll club. No re-powerable GT should go to the junk pile. Nice machine and nice save!

JN