#61 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 07:12 PM

Hello Smitty,
New guy here. Was glad to see your post about the Kubota z482. I am wanting to order one from ebay but the seller stated that it was a constant speed. My question is, are all the z482's alike or could I assume that the one on ebay would be able to be converted to a variable speed engine? Thanks If you go to ebay you can just search "Kubota z482" and check it out.
Thanks
Chuck in SC

No problems running the z482 as a variable speed engine. Im doing it right now

#62 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 07:20 PM

Hello Smitty,
New guy here. Was glad to see your post about the Kubota z482. I am wanting to order one from ebay but the seller stated that it was a constant speed. My question is, are all the z482's alike or could I assume that the one on ebay would be able to be converted to a variable speed engine? Thanks If you go to ebay you can just search "Kubota z482" and check it out.
Thanks
Chuck in SC

The engine is similar to mine--there is quite a bit of variation on Kubota engines depending on the application. Mine has a big "mushroom" oil pan that holds 6 qts of oil. The eBay engine has the oil filter on the right (looking at flywheel) same as mine, but the filters can also be on the left if they have a different front cover.

I don't see any connection for the throttle on the eBay engine--I suspect it's in the flat rectangular housing above and forward of the fuel pump. I'm not sure if there are levers, etc. that can be reset, etc. inside there--maybe someone else can chime in with more information.

Steve

#63 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 08:16 PM

If its the one i saw on ebay i would keep looking. You can get a good 3 cylinder kubota for about 1000-1200. I only paid 125$ for my Z482 and 125 for a similar yanmar. Like Steve's engine i had the large oil pan because it was from a reefer unit in a tractor trailer. I switched oil pans to the standard one normally found on these engines and added the mechanical fuel pump. Will the engine your looking at work? Yes it will but plan on doing some research on what parts may need to be changed out to fit your application

#64 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 173 Thanks
  • 406 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 08:39 PM

125$? Wow that's cheap.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S III 32gb via tapatalk 2.

#65 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 08:52 PM

I had an opportunity to work on the Yanmar today. It has two electric coils on the injector pump. One to hold the pump open during start up and one to hold it open during the run cycle. I couldn't get the pump to prime and after doing a check found the fuse to the start coil was bad. Changed that and it fired right up. Runs like a champ and though I didn't run it long it doesn't seem to have any blow by. The little sucker is real snappy and it just about jumps in your lap when you open the throttle. This gets the juices flowing for another project.
  • BowDown said thank you

#66 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 10:36 PM

I had an opportunity to work on the Yanmar today. It has two electric coils on the injector pump. One to hold the pump open during start up and one to hold it open during the run cycle. I couldn't get the pump to prime and after doing a check found the fuse to the start coil was bad. Changed that and it fired right up. Runs like a champ and though I didn't run it long it doesn't seem to have any blow by. The little sucker is real snappy and it just about jumps in your lap when you open the throttle. This gets the juices flowing for another project.

I understand completely--I'd see some neat old tractor--maybe not all there, and I'd say..."Man I could really fix that up and have a great machine..." That's why I have a yard full of tractors and no time to finish them..

Even then, I saw a Homelite T10 for sale locally for $50 this morning and had to call and find out about it. Someone else may have bought it, but it was sure tempting...

#67 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 11:16 PM

My problem is that I have way more engines than tractors to put them in. Once a gas engine comes out it never gets looked at again. I keep thinking the Cub dumpster would be nice with the little diesel in it and a set of duals on the rear. The thing that holds me back is that darn hand control hydro and it's complicated linkage. For just running around and hauling things the little 10 hp. diesel would be perfect. :smile1:

#68 Chuck1947 OFFLINE  

Chuck1947
  • Member No: 11428
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 08:09 PM

Thanks to all who replied. The gentleman with the unit for sale states in the ad that it is a "Constand speed engine and if you want to switch to variable you need to switch the front cover." Whatever that means. I am not familiar with these engines obviously but I do see a lot of used diesels with low hrs. for sale on ebay and may go that route. I try to call some dealers but didn't have much luck. Maybe I can try going directly to Kubota for answers.... will see.

Hammerdwn20: The 3 cyl kubota you are talking about could you please give me a name of a supplier or are you talking used for $1200-1500

Chuck in SC
"If you can't say something nice about someone at least try to be vague."

#69 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,469 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted September 09, 2012 - 08:21 PM

Try these guys. I know who used to import their engines for them and have had good luck with the importer. If they are still using that importer you should get a good engine.
http://www.ustrading.net/Engines.htm

#70 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 06:45 PM

Hammerdwn20: The 3 cyl kubota you are talking about could you please give me a name of a supplier or are you talking used for $1200-1500

They would be used engines usually with under 1000 hours