#46 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 05:04 PM

I just got it clear of the housing and it is a Yanmar. The bad part is that it says on the information tag that it is for "constant speed only" :mecry: But - the governor arm on the pump looks like it is meant to have a throttle cable hooked up to it so I'm not giving up yet. I still have to take the alternator and compressor off and the mounting frame before it is out in the clear. Than I will wash it and take photos.

#47 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 07:40 PM

Looks like this little Yanmar is bigger than I thought. The tag says 523cc so If I can get it to throttle this could turn out to be a very usable engine. I had thought that the main seal was leaking but I found that the oil filter was just snug and had been leaking. the oil was finding it's way to the flywheel and showed up in a lot of places after that.
That's a 1 foot rule in the photos to give an idea of the size.
Diesel engines 8-21-2012 001.JPG
Diesel engines 8-21-2012 002.JPG
Diesel engines 8-21-2012 003.JPG
Diesel engines 8-21-2012 004.JPG
Diesel engines 8-21-2012 005.JPG

Looks like the engine is putting out 7kw at 2400 rpm. That works out to about 9.37hp.

Diesel engines 8-21-2012 006.JPG

#48 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 07:53 PM

At 3600 rpm, it puts out right at 13hp. http://www.centrodie...ries_sheets.pdf

#49 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 07:59 PM

When can you ship that other one my way Chris? :smilewink:

#50 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 08:12 PM

From the looks of the spec. sheet I would have to wind these up to 3600 rpm to get 13hp out of them. That's way to small for anything you have Daniel. Your bucket is pretty full and I don't want to be adding to your burden by making you use an under powered tractor :p On top of that I don't even know if I can throttle the darn things yet. Hopefully I can make some headway on that tomorrow if it doesn't get too hot. I have to call and see if the other one is available yet.

Looks like I'm pretty good at repeating what you have said. Is that an echo I hear? :rofl2:

#51 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 08:21 PM

With my Massey 1855, I rarely ask for more than half to 3/4 of what the 18hp Onan can develop. A smaller diesel will more than name up for hp with torque. The Yanmar I hope to put into my 1855 loader tractor this winter is a 16hp 3TNE66. Yes, I have more on my plate than I can handle as it is.....so just keep that extra Yanmar Chris. :smilewink:

#52 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 12:07 PM

From the looks of the spec. sheet I would have to wind these up to 3600 rpm to get 13hp out of them. That's way to small for anything you have Daniel. Your bucket is pretty full and I don't want to be adding to your burden by making you use an under powered tractor :p On top of that I don't even know if I can throttle the darn things yet. Hopefully I can make some headway on that tomorrow if it doesn't get too hot. I have to call and see if the other one is available yet.

Looks like I'm pretty good at repeating what you have said. Is that an echo I hear? :rofl2:

My Kubota Z482 was set up for constant speed only. However, there was a bolt with a locknut that acted like a throttle stop. I just backed the bolt off a little and "voila" variable speed.

Kubota Z482 Rt Side w_Notes.jpg

Also, you can find the displacement and serial number for the engine right below the fuel return line on the right side of the engine as viewed from the flyhwheel end.

KUBOTA Z482  S_N & Size.jpg

Another curious thing about Kubotas--- the first letter designates the number of cylinders...in German. Here's the breakdown:

Z - Zwei (2)
D - Drei (3)
V - Vier (4)

So, a Z482 engine is a two cylinder with 482 cc's displacement.

HTH,

Steve
  • KennyP and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#53 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 12:11 PM

Good info, Smitty!

#54 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 12:11 PM

Chris

I know you can tweak the hp of a diesel engine with different sized injectors and with different settings on the fuel pump. I would guess you could get 2 to 3 more hp with those engines.

It looks like those little Yanmars are a pretty good fit for GT use... The extra torque of the diesel engine certainly helps. And, torque on a diesel isn't just a function of the length of the stroke. Since the fuel tends to burn for a longer time than gasoline, you have a longer "push" through the stroke of the piston...

Regards,
  • Cvans said thank you

#55 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 06:25 PM

I did get the control panel made and then the weather got very hot. Now it's cooled down and I and the wife have a bit of a bug so not much has been getting done. I'm also replacing the fuel tank in my plane so I need to get that done so I can attend a fly inn in the near future.
My engine also has the throttle stop bolt and I plan on backing that off and see if I can throttle it. Hopefully next week I can make some more progress on it.

#56 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted September 01, 2012 - 08:05 AM

As I have stated before, there is no replacement for cubic inch displacement! This is the key factor when choosing a replacement . Diesel or otherwise . Only real advantage is the diesels are usually very good on fuel com paired to its equal on gasoline.

Now you need to look at the torque figures of both engines and com pair rpms and values if they are pretty close then HP doesn't really matter. But if they are way off then issues will surely rear their ugly heads. Overheating for one.
The wayi see it is bigger is almost always better, especially talking diesel . They last longer and get very good fuel usage doing only half the load .
You run a little diesel hard all day and it isn't going to last as long as a larger one working half as hard and that's fact.

#57 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 02, 2012 - 07:39 AM

That looks like a great engine to drop in a JD 300/314/316k/317. Looking forward to the continued work on your project.

#58 Chuck1947 OFFLINE  

Chuck1947
  • Member No: 11428
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 12:01 AM

Hello Smitty,
New guy here. Was glad to see your post about the Kubota z482. I am wanting to order one from ebay but the seller stated that it was a constant speed. My question is, are all the z482's alike or could I assume that the one on ebay would be able to be converted to a variable speed engine? Thanks If you go to ebay you can just search "Kubota z482" and check it out.
Thanks
Chuck in SC

#59 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 06:21 AM

Chuck1947,just wanted to say welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

#60 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted September 06, 2012 - 10:33 AM

Welcome Chuck. Nice to have you here.
So far the constant speed engines that I have run were able to run at variable speeds. A couple had to have the throttle arms modified but that was simple. I'm about to try another and will report the results. Too many things keep popping up and getting in the way :smile1: