#1 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 11:14 PM

I've been fortunate enough to make an acquaintance with a person who imports from Japan. He has been kind enough to allow me to order engines through him. Because of this I've finally settled on the idea of installing a Kubota Z600 into the Ford 165 that I recently purchased. The Z620 in the Bolens has turned out to be a fine engine but is not common in this country. The Z600 is and was ordered with a water pump so the cooling setup should be easier.
The tractor is now tore down, cleaned and waiting for the next move. I spent the last two days cleaning the shop so I can find things when it's time to start. :smile1: I'm expecting the engine to be here sometime in January. He has a couple of other engines I'm interested in also so I may have to take the Trailer :yelclap: .
It's been a while and I'm ready for another project.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 11:19 PM

Chris, That sounds like it's going to be another good Re-Power project. Keep us posted on how it is going..

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 11:30 PM

That is an awesome deal for you Chris. So are all of your tractors diesel, or just the ones you fix because they come in running on gasoline? LOL

#4 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 11:41 PM

That will be a nice engine to put in that Ford. Keep us posted.

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 12:04 AM

I actually plan on leaving two tractors in the gas configuration. The Simplicity 7117 that I use for blowing snow. And the Ford 850 that I use for mowing the airfield and pasture. It starts and runs so cheap it wouldn't be worth the hassle. The Ford 165 will make 5 diesel garden tractors. I have another loader in the hangar but I haven't made up my mind if I will install it on this tractor or not. Will have to wait and see how the steering is on it.
Getting another engine is more fun than opening Christmas presents :laughingteeth:
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 05:18 AM

That will be a nice conversion.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 09:24 AM

5 diesels huh! Lets see, MF1010, diesel JB. Kubota G4200, JF F935 mower, and my MF1855 will make 5 once the Yanmar is in it. So we'll be tied! I have a feeling you'll surpass me rather quickly though!
Chris, I sure hope you won't need any help with your stub shaft! :D

#8 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 09:31 AM

Geez..... You guys sure put to shame guys like me that have my first diesel power plant still sitting on the work bench waiting for some holiday time to tinker with it. You guys are already fielding fleets of diesel conversions!

Chris, just out of curiosity do you know if your connection has any lead on importing the v-twin air-cooled China diesels?

JN

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 10:55 AM

He has made a couple of trips over there but nothing so far. I did probe the issue a little and he said that he hasn't looked into that yet.
When I make the trip to pick up my things I will approach him again and let you folks know the outcome. My main concern would be the lack of after sales support.

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 11:01 AM

Chris, I sure hope you won't need any help with your stub shaft!

Hopefully I have that covered but thanks for offering to do the machining for me :bigrofl:

I really don't know many of these I will do but I do enjoy the challenge and the end results are a kick to use. I'm going to have to sell something eventually as it is hard to justify having this many tractors.:(

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 11:05 AM

He has made a couple of trips over there but nothing so far. I did probe the issue a little and he said that he hasn't looked into that yet.
When I make the trip to pick up my things I will approach him again and let you folks know the outcome. My main concern would be the lack of after sales support.

Thats great news Chris. I prefer the water cooled engines but I can see where the air cooled would be easier to deal with. After sales support is usually left to the distributer in these cases. I guess it depends a lot on if the spare parts are readily available form China. If I was buying one I'd buy spares up front with the engine purchase.

#12 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 11:35 AM

I would gave opted for a D 600 - 772 , will fit easily and have plenty of power. Did you get a radiator with it ?

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 04:39 PM

The radiator is going to be the iffy part. If one is available it will be included. I haven't ruled out buying a new one if necessary. At least with the pump, a radiator should be easy to locate.

I have had such good luck with the 2 cylinder engines that I really haven't considered a 3 cylinder "yet". There is also less demand for them so the going price is quite a bit lower. That and I just like the looks of the little buggers. So far I have found no need for more power than the Bolens has. Less mass and weight is easier on the steering also. The BIG draw for me to the 3 cylinder engines is the sound and how smooth they are. Some day I will give them a try.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 04:50 PM

All mine except the Kubota are 3 cylinder & far & away much smoother, but when the Kubota is on the pipe, she sounds good as well.

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 04:55 PM

All mine except the Kubota are 3 cylinder & far & away much smoother, but when the Kubota is on the pipe, she sounds good as well.

"On the pipe"-
Daniel I haven't heard that expression since my good old days of dirt biking back in the 1970s !