AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 02:02 PM

I know it's not even winter yet, but how do you guys deal it when the weather or lack of daylight cause you to be a shut-in?
I ask because I'm going stir-crazy...Since October 15th I've been laid up from a motorcycle wreck. At this point I've got a complete understanding of the term Cabin Fever, because now the weather is miserable I can't even go out on the porch & sit in the sunshine & fresh air.
GTTalk, SmokStak, YouTube...etc have had a full time job of keeping my mind occupied, but a guy can only stare at a screen for so long!

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 02:51 PM

I understand where you are coming from. I don't have an enclosed shop for the GT's and soon all I can do is look out the window at them.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 06:20 PM

Go thru it every winter too. I make up excuses to go out and putter around. Worst is late January for me... Dark when I leave for work, Dark when I get home.

Pretty sure that Bears have their "stuff" together with the whole hibernation thing.

Sorry to hear of your wreck, hope the healing is quicker than it sounds.

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 06:38 PM

Hate to hear that Dan. I don't do well if I can't at least putter around, but then I don't have too much free time anyway. I feel for ya man! What kind of bodily damage did you go through/going through?

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 06:44 PM

I hope your recovery is going smoothly. I get the same way. I tend to make cleaning and reorganizing days. I find that helps. GTTalk, netflix, and the other forums are a pleasant diversion. I also try to research GT's on the internet when it gets dreary. I'll pick a certain make and model and see where it goes. Sometimes an internet game helps pass the time.

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 07:49 PM

I feel your pain, last February I had an MC accident where I broke my collar bone and had some serious bruises. To make matters worse I went through the initial 3 week healing prior only to find out that I really needed to have surgery and have a plate put in which took my healing process back to day 1 right at time it was getting nice out side. Like others I go through the dark period (SAD) every year so last year my period was extended. One thing that helps me is the light bulbs in my desk lamp are the time that mimics the blue sun light and that does help. As I felt like it I would get involved in project I could handle like working on computers and I also slept a lot.

You don't state what your injuries are but depending on you mobility you might want to start thinking about what projects you want to accomplish when you heal up and then start drawing out your plans, make list's and even start checking the internet or ad's for items you will need at a reduced cost. If you are mobile enough get someone who whats to learn about tractors and let them do the work and you supervise.

I hope you heal quickly and completely from your injuries.

#7 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 08:08 PM

Thanks guys. Recovery is going slowly, but it is going.
Daniel, I crushed my left arm from the elbow to my hand (including one exposed fracture), broke my left ankle & 1 toe... I also had a half-dollar sized puncture wound on my left thigh. My right wrist was fractured as well as the little finger on that hand. I had connective tissue damage throughout my upper body, and have bone fragmenting on my spine. Mostly I got beat up pretty good.
The Dr.s say my blood sugar fluctuated badly, and I lost consciousness for a moment while going about 40mph. I came to just before my front tire crossed the white line coming into a left hand curve. I tried to steer between 2 cedar trees, but the bike contacted them throwing me off and sending me into another tree. The bike was kind enough to follow me, hitting my left side & pinning me to the tree. I pushed the bike off and walked back to the road (adrenalin & shock are something else) Thanks to a passer-by who knew the area 911 got an ambulance to me within 20 minutes. 40 minutes after that I was being air-lifted to Vanderbilt in Nashville with no pulse in my arm & uncontrolled bleeding. I was in trauma ICU for 10 hours, then went into surgery my first surgery.
All said & done I was there for a week and went through over 15 hrs of surgery. I've got a mess of hardware in my arm; 2 of the surgeons told me I had the house record for most fractures and steel in 1 arm. I'll go back on the 12th & 14th for pin removal & more x-rays, and should find out whether more surgery is needed.
Long term speaking, my left arm will never open past 40 degrees, and use of my hand is uncertain. Right now I can wiggle my fingers, but cannot actually use them.
Wow, sorry for such a long response, I was giving the short version!
The pics are my repaired arm, and the cast/locking splint combo I'm currently wearing

Attached Thumbnails

• 006.jpg
  • 006.JPG.jpg

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 08:23 PM

Wow, you've been through alot.
Hope you get healed up soon.
As for cabin fever, just remember, spring is just around the corner.

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 08:25 PM

You have a nasty crash . Hope you broken body heals well and you'll be back doing things soon , Al

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 09:04 PM

Holy Crow, that's a lot of hardware. Hoping for a productive recovery now more than a speedy one. Listen to your Phy Therapist and know we're all pulling for you.

As for entertainment... one of us will be along with a story of something we did dumb today... be any minute now...

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 09:07 PM

Dang, you sure did have a bad one, and more hardware in that arm than I've ever seen! Hope things turn out far better than you even expect.

#12 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 09:30 PM

Wow it sounds like we are lucky to have you with us. Hope the healing goes well.
I start a count down in late fall to the shortest day of the year, gives me something to look forward to. Then you have to convince your self that you can actually tell that the days start getting longer little by little. Keep your house well lit on the real gloomy days, maybe get some more of the "sun" light bulbs in other fixtures. 22 days to go!

#13 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 10:00 PM

Thanks again guys. I'm taking recovery 1 day at a time, but it is frustrating. Especially now with being cooped up, and my wife had to go back to work last week which didn't help.
I haven't started PT yet, that is pending my next visit to Nashville. The doc says how much use I get out of my hand depends on me, and PT. He doesn't know just how stubborn I am or how hard I can push...I intend to do anything in my power to get as much back as possible.
I'm very very lucky to be here, and extremely thankful for the team or surgeons I had. I went in understanding there was a high chance of complications, but those guys & gals really came through.

HDWildBill ... Not too long before the wreck I had started on reconditioning a Simplicity Wonderboy. Now it's sitting in the shop waiting, and I look forward to being able to pick back up on it!

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 04:25 AM

Didn't realize things were that bad. Good luck with your recovery. Going into winter is tough, be laid up. Be careful of the slick stuff, don't need to fall and have complications.

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 01, 2011 - 09:36 AM

Well, I figure you're gonna do very well. You have many things going in your favor......young, strong, stubborn, tough, and you love tractors & working on them. You'll do well physically Dan, just the mental stuff you'll have to fight hard. You're a fighter though, so you'll come through!