#1 Brett OFFLINE  

Brett

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7141
  • 78 Thanks
  • 287 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 01:55 PM

I'm trying to get some general info from those of you that own or have used these. One question I have is are they over kill when it comes to snow removal ( I can imagine the need for lots of counter weight)? Secondly Does the 44 have its own hydrolic fluid reservoir on all models?Thanks

#2 hgl1gtt OFFLINE  

hgl1gtt

• Member No: 7874
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 12, 2012 - 12:37 PM

A couple of things. One is that a loader is not the ideal way to move snow. Don't get me wrong but if you have room to blow snow that is the best way to get it outta the way. A loader is good at many things but snow removal it not its best use and can be time consuming.
Second is that it is a completley self contained unit with its own pump and reservoir. The reservoir on mine is the upright on the left side upright. And you do need a lot of counter weight on the back. I use a hydraulic tiller and it is still not heavy enough. Not even close.
A loader is still one of those attachments you wonder how you ever did without one.
  • middleageddeere and Brett have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 12, 2012 - 02:38 PM

For counterweight Deere makes a ballast box that you can fill with sand, cement or whatever. The advantage is that it is narrow and doesn't get in the way when in tight quarters like a box blade or a tiller. I think it would weigh 500 or so filled with concrete. If you get some scrap steel in there it would be even heavier. Deere generally recommends the ballast box + wheel weights as a safe ballast level. There is a company called Horst welding that makes snow blades that attach to the larger JD loaders in place of the bucket. I'm not sure if they will work on the 44 but they do work on the 2305 loader.
  • middleageddeere and Brett have said thanks

#4 hgl1gtt OFFLINE  

hgl1gtt

• Member No: 7874
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted February 12, 2012 - 05:22 PM

I agree the ballast box and rear weights would be the way to go. However, for the use I have for mine the tiller works ok. I may ballast the rear tires and add some weights to them but the tiller works so well behind the 430 which we are planning to use a bunch this summer that I am very reluctant to take it off.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 12, 2012 - 08:27 PM

I'm spoiled by the imatch on my 2320. It makes it so easy to change implements that I forget it can be a real pain for something like a tiller. I have to watch what I have on the back end because it is close quarters in some spots here and I've snagged a few things with rear implements in the past.

#6 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted February 28, 2012 - 09:01 PM

I have a 318 and was wondering if the pump would fit the front of my tractor, and if so could I get some dimensions for the bracket and some specks on the pump.

#7 deerenut OFFLINE  

deerenut
  • Member No: 8711
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 03, 2012 - 09:27 AM

There are two different pump units for these loaders. The first is for the 420/ 430 units and mounts under the belly of the tractor, it is powered by the mid PTO. The second is for the 300 series it mounts on the front and runs off the PTO.

The other thing to remember is that the mounting frame is different for the 430, 300 series and the 420. I love my 44, but you almost need to have a dedicated tractor. It is a pain to change from the loader to the deck. It usually take me about 35 minutes... and I have done it a few times. My 430 is used for the loader now that I have all the other tractrors.
  • middleageddeere said thank you