25 replies to this topic

#16 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7608
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 07:37 AM

Well the 72" seems to be right or at least close enough. My son drove it up and down the driveway last night. Just need to put the headlight panel in and make a new seat. Engine runs good, starts up better than our 3 year old Toro zero turn.

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 07:44 AM

Glad you found a belt that works and got it moving. Good luck with it!

#18 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted December 04, 2011 - 06:35 PM

Thanks, appreciate all the help guys.

This thing is ugly as sin, rust, peeling paint, dirt, grease, etc. But it runs and moves great, just turn the key for a second and it's running. Welded some bar stock to the bottom of the worn out skid plates on the snow blower and got it mounted. Belt that came with it is definitely too short, minor problem. The PTO is manual and seems to have a problem. The outer belt pulley walks in towards the engine when you start it and grabs the clutch plate. So what ever is driven off the PTO is always running, like the snow blower. The pulley spins free when the engine isn't running but walks in when it is and we have tried really loosening up the tension on the clutch. Heck we had over 1/8" gap between the pulley and clutch plate. So I'll go through the manuals and see what I can find. Again, thanks for the help, I'll probably need more.

#19 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted December 05, 2011 - 09:17 PM

Took the PTO apart today. The pulley surfaces and clutch disk were pretty gummed up, dirt, grease and paint. Cleaned everything up and reassembled. That seemed to solve the problem, snow blower auger turned slowly when I first started the engine. I could hold the pulley with very little pressure, after a minute or two the auger stopped spinning on it's own. Off to Tractor Supply tomorrow to buy some belts and hope one is the right length.

#20 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 08:43 AM

Had a heck of time trying to find the right belt for the snow blower. Then I found we're missing an important part, the push bar that attaches to bottom of the snow blower and slides over the cross bar just in front of transmission on bottom of tractor frame. The manual isn't real clear but I was able to piece together a couple of pictures and descriptions to figure out what we were missing. Had an old piece of heavy steel U channel in the shed, was the axle off a utility trailer. I cut a 4" chunk off and welded it across the end in a T. It slides nicely over cross bar on the tractor. Cut a wedge out of it and welded it back together so it drops down under steering linkage then runs forward to the blower. That stabilized the snow blower so I could get the right length belt. Just need to straighten or replace the drive pulley on the snow blower and it should be all set.

I'll have to pull it out of the shed to get some pictures. To close in there to get a good shot. Imagine the first two pics of lsaltis61's Jac Chief 1000, link below, in Ford Blue and White. Pretty rough looking but functional.

http://gardentractor...-project-11230/

Edited by HankS, December 20, 2011 - 08:51 AM.

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 09:09 AM

Glad you are getting things figured out. I am not very versed on one of these, just rely on what the manuals say. I would become a very good friend with lsaltis1961, he may be great help to you since your tractor is like his herd.

#22 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 09:43 AM

welcome 2 gtt.....

#23 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 20, 2011 - 11:04 AM

Welcome to GTTalk Hank. I had a husqvarna a while back with a broken mower belt. Looked up the right belt went down to the supply shop and came back and only to see it was way to long. I went to several different parts houses and we even called husqvarna and they all said it was the correct belt. I finally just bought a generic belt from Home depot for a 48" cut and it worked. So just because the manual might say it belongs isn't necessarily so.

Looking forward to seeing the pics. Bill

#24 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted December 21, 2011 - 01:19 PM

Well the pulley was pretty bent and caused the belt to jump around a lot. Seemed like the center of the hub was worn a little too. Went to, where else, Tractor Supply and picked up an 8" OD pulley and the center hub for a 3/4" keyed shaft. Just finished up welding the hub in and putting it back together. Seems to work pretty good now, belt doesn't jump like it did.

It's December 21st, over 40 degrees and raining here. Wonder if we'll get any snow so I can try it out.

#25 greenmachine OFFLINE  

greenmachine

• Member No: 8303
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 20, 2012 - 09:11 PM

I have a Ford 120 k301 12hp where do I check the yr & Etc. Thanks GM

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted January 21, 2012 - 05:09 AM

Welcome, greenmachine. Usually the year is figured out thru the engine #'s.
Kohler ID.jpg
That doesn't read very good. Try this:
Kohler ID2.jpg

Edited by KennyP, January 21, 2012 - 05:15 AM.