36 replies to this topic

#1 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 06:24 PM

Last week I made a delivery to one of my regular customers homes and noticed that he had a mower deck for a Cub Cadet laying under a trailer as if it had been deserted. I didn't get to talk to him at the time as he wasn't there. Today he came in and I asked him if he had a Cub Cadet as I had seen the mower deck. He said that there was one in his shed but it was the neighbor's and not his. However he said he has told the neighbor several times over a lengthy span that it needs to leave. He offered to sell it to me right on the spot and said he would give the neighbor the money and deal with him if he said anything about it to him.

I just wonder what others would do in this case? I am not so much worried about him taking the money and not giving it to the neighbor as I am in the ethics of whether it's right for him to sell it or not? I think I allready know what I'm going to do but wonder what others think about it?

By the way it's an IH built unit and the price is GOOD!

#2 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 06:34 PM

It sounds like your customer gave the neighbor ample time to move it,and also made it known he didn't want to store it anymore.I'd say it's up to your customer.He has to live next to him.I'd say it's fair game.He is obviously not worried about it or he would've picked it up.
  • IHCubGuy said thank you

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 06:36 PM

You gotta talk to the neighbor. My 2centsworth.

#4 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 06:37 PM

I say, he want's it gone, you want to buy it. Sound's to me it's a done deal.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 06:46 PM

I'm with Will on this one. I'd talk to the neighbor.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 06:46 PM

I'd talk to the neighbor!

#7 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 06:51 PM

Not worth the hassle.......If you do talk to the neighbor, you can be pretty sure the price will be higher....I'd pass

#8 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 06:52 PM

Ok,Ok, I guess thease guy's are probably right.The right thing to do would be to talk to the neighbor. That way your mind would be at ease.

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 06:58 PM

Since you know it belongs to the neighbor, if you buy it, it could be considered thief. No need going to jail over a tractor.

#10 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,718 Thanks
  • 4,276 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 07:02 PM

That's a tough call. In Ohio, if an item is left over 30 days and you have made an effort to contact the owner, its yours. I was unknowingly put in a similar situation a few years back. I bought a chop saw at a yard sale from a guy I went to school with. He said it hadn't been used in a while and wouldn't stay running. He was cleaning out his building and needed some money. I rebuilt the carb, cleaned out the fuel system, and bought a new blade for it. A few months later an old friend of my Dad's came in the shop and asked if I'd bought a chop saw. He said it was his and that the other guy was selling his stuff and he'd like to have it back. When I went back to the seller to find out what was going on I found out that he had given the guy some free short term storage almost 4 years prior and the guy wouldn't come get the stuff. Knowing both parties really put me in the middle. If I'd have known up front, I probably wouldn't have done it although the seller had every right to get rid of it. I was able to make a deal with the original owner where he could use it if he needed it and nothing else came of it. At least your guy told you the whole story up front. Maybe tell the current possessor that you aren't real comfortable doing that and would like the neighbor's blessing. On the other hand, if the neighbor won't sell and won't take home would it be any different if it was scrapped and lost forever? Knowing that his neighbor is serious about getting rid of it may get the owner in gear and get it out of your customer's way.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 07:36 PM

Ethics would state that contacting the neighbor is a must.
I would go cash in hand for paying what you want to. He may tell you more or less than what you have already been told. If it's more than you want to pay, go back and see the guy storing it.
My understanding of PA law : Legally, if the current possessor has notified the current owner and he has not come to get it after a reasonable amount of time, I believe it becomes his property. I would send a certified letter (neighbor or not) stating that it needs moved within 30 days or the unit will be disposed of as abandoned property. After the 30 days, he should be in the clear to do with it as he sees fit. (I am not a Lawyer, just been there once years ago).

As a potential buyer, I would call a Lawyer regarding stipulations on abandoned property. Get a better definition of what classifies and how to keep yourself out of trouble. If you know a police officer, you may be able to ask them for some guidance too.

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 07:42 PM

...I would call a Lawyer regarding stipulations on abandoned property. Get a better definition of what classifies and how to keep yourself out of trouble. If you know a police officer, you may be able to ask them for some guidance too.

You'd better know a Lawyer! Not too many left that will advise over the phone.

IMHO, the worst that could happen is that the neighbor gets the tractor out of your customers shed and your none the worse off. Better safe than sorry.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 07:50 PM

One thing is for sure....the neighbor is not ethical. He ignores the request to remove his property. That makes it abandonment after so long a time, which varies by state.

#14 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 07:52 PM

The consensus on here echoes what I was thinking. I am just not comfortable with it myself whether it be legal to do so or not. I don't need in trouble myself and don't need to start something between two neighbors. I am just going to pass on this one since the basements allready full and I should be cleaning out instead of adding more.

#15 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 08:02 PM

You gotta talk to the neighbor. My 2centsworth.

:ditto: