daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 16, 2012 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the pictures and stories !!! Anytime someone can give pictures & information like you did we all enjoy , Al

Al said it a few months ago and I can't make it better. Thanks for all this information and keep it coming.

#33 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted March 20, 2012 - 10:09 PM

Here are a few more catalog photos of Dille & McGuire mowers from the early 1900's. The first model is call the King triple gear, that is the blue and silver one. They then work thier way down to the cheapest. If anyone has a model matching these photos and needs a name to go with it, let me know and I will be sure glad to help. I might add these are catalog drawings so there may be little differences than your model. Use the wheels as a guide for identifiacation and the spindle holding the blades, which could be 3-4-5 blades.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2007_1120dille0009.JPG
  • 2007_1120dille0011.JPG
  • 2007_1120dille0013.JPG
  • 2007_1120dille0016.JPG
  • 2007_1120dille0021.JPG
  • 2007_1120dille0023.JPG
  • 2007_1120dille0019.JPG
  • 2007_1120dille0025.JPG
  • 2007_1120dille0027.JPG
  • 2007_1120dille0029.JPG
  • 2007_1120dille0033.JPG
  • 2007_1120dille0035.JPG

Edited by redcarkids, March 20, 2012 - 10:14 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#34 msrejent OFFLINE  

msrejent
  • Member No: 9204
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 04:41 PM

Hello,
I just picked up a Dille and Mcguire Reel mower at an auction and was wondering if anyone knows how to sharpen it for use? It's in great shape other than it's dull and the bearings are a little loud. Can the reel and the cutting blades still be sharpened and could I buy some new ball bearings? I don't know witch model it is, it looks like the one from page 13 from the pictures posted from the catalog above. except for the writing on the wheel. It has four blades on the reel (of which the center is round) and the shearing blade bolts come out the side. The wooden roller adjustment is also on the side and the slide is curved. The wheel has Dille and McGuire, Richmond, Ind. It also has oil, right next to a hole for the axle of the reel they are also steel. The handle has sterling ball bearing written on it, it's kind of hard to tell though. I don't have a camera, so can't take a picture. I went to my local golf course and asked them how they sharpen theirs and the person said they free hand sharpen the shearing blade to a 90 degree by hand, don't know how that works. I want to restore it and also use it. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!

Edited by msrejent, March 25, 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#35 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 05:45 PM

Welcome to the sight. Any questions about any mower will get you some kind of responce. The guys are good on this web sight.
There are hand sharpeners out there, if you can find one. I don't own one yet. We have been looking for one to show with the collection we have. I believe you can by new sharpeners. Great States mowers out of Shelbyville Indiana still makes push mowers and so does Scotts. I have seen new sharpeners on e-bay also. I do know you can raise and lower the cutter bar. You would just want the cutter bar missing the blades for the adjustment. You can adjust the rear wood roller up and down for cutting height. If you take off a wheel you will find the cog and a pin in there with a gear. look to see how the pin, or key , is inserted before taking it out. The key is about 1/2 inch wide and 1/8 thick, 3/4 long and tapered on both ends. It has to go back in the right way or your blade will not spin with the wheel rotation. if you put it in backwards there will be no grab to the wheel thus no spin on the blade. Its designed that way so when you pull the mower backwards the blade won't spin. There will be a sleeve of bearings on each end of the reel. To get to these you pretty much have to disassemble the sides which means tearing the mower almost completly down. Not hard to do if you have mechcanical ability. Good luck and keep us posted on progress. If you have a cell phone you can send photos to your e-mail and upload them from there. If you get a camera and can post some photos i will help identify your model if I can.

Edited by redcarkids, March 25, 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#36 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 25, 2012 - 08:11 PM

I have 2 reel and bed knife sharpeners made by Ideal in the 50's, i sharpen all my reels with it, it is not a hand sharpener, don't care much for thoses anyways but a bench type is the way to go.
Golf reels are sharpened and set much differently then the home owners and yours is a 4 blade not a 12 or 16 blade and has a back throw not a frount throw into a grass catcher like the Golf mowers (greens mower), the 4 blade is more or less meant to cut more aggressivly taking bigger bites of grass, was very common in the 20's and 30's before the universal 6 blade was adopted, they are a little harder to push being the reason why so few are found now. My 1974 Toro GreensMaster is a frount throw and a 12 blade, it would not cut the thick Johnson grass or the typical lawn very well unless i adjusted the bed knife, it is for show only. My monarch is a Lawn mower and has the typical 6 blade and rear throw, the blades on the self propeled Monach and my push reels are sharpen to 85 or 90 degrees which is typical to almost all reels but it's the spacing between the reel and the bed knife that makes the diffenences, it depends on the grass your cutting, is it thick or thin, the types of grasses and how low you can cut it before hurting it, i find 3 1/2 inches is a good hight, some prefer 2 or less but this is for grasses such as bermuda or such.
In your case with no sharpeners avalible and obviously the Golf guys you seen did not want to deal with it so i will get you started.
First off the blades, if they are nicked and the botten edge rounded badly then it needs to be sharpened with a bench grinder such as mines, if it's still has an somewhat 90 degress angle to the blade face then you can back-lap it, usally back lapping is all that's needed unless the rell mower is used every week thoughout the summer.

http://www.google.co...FGMLG3fzZVJS3Aw

Backlapping : http://www.google.co...MEeNXqeudo_yguA

http://www.google.co...7fdin2GzfJQ1djA

After the blade and knife has been sharpened a sheet of paper can be used for a test, spinning the reel by hand and feeding the paper thought the reels and it should cut clean strips, if not then back-lap a little more untill it cuts the paper cleanly, test the blade and knife all the way, not just the center, then for a test with grass. if the reel does not cut the really thin grasses then carefully and evenly adjust the bed knife to the blade untill it does but you do not want the reels rubbing with the knife, it will wear it out quickly, you can also adjust the knife out untill it just right taking the strain off of you and the mower itself.
Your lawn will like the reel mower much better, grow heathier and quicker as long as you keep mowing, if the grass gets taller the the middle of the reel even at max hight then it will just knock it over and wind around the reels and a rotary mower is needed.
I hope this helps, any question please post it here and we will help as best as we can.

Attached Thumbnails

• P6020064.jpg
  • P6020065.jpg
  • P5280058.jpg

Edited by trowel, March 25, 2012 - 08:14 PM.

• redcarkids and DB1 have said thanks

#37 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 05:18 AM

This is a cool thread.Some nice photos here.
  • trowel said thank you

#38 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 09:32 PM

here is a before and after shot of a power reel mower made by Dille & McGuire that we restored.
I just had this one out today and it started right up. Ran realy well for sitting all winter.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2007_1227dillerebuild0002.JPG
  • 2009_0503cats0040.JPG
  • 2009_0503cats0041.JPG
  • 2007_1227dillerebuild0014.JPG

• trowel, DB1 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#39 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 11:45 PM

Thanks for this web sight letting me post a little about the company.

I missed a lot of stuff from being out-bidded, sorry to hear that, next time around you will get it, we are more then happy for this weath of information on reel mowers, im loving every inch of it, Thank you.
  • redcarkids said thank you

#40 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 11:52 PM

here is a before and after shot of a power reel mower made by Dille & McGuire that we restored.
I just had this one out today and it started right up. Ran realy well for sitting all winter.

A briggs 5 will always run, even with a warped head and no piston rings to call for it will run :thumbs:
Did you have the reels and bed knife sharpened ?
You did a perfet OEM job on the mower, looks like factory new, GREAT job on it and thanks so much for showing it.
  • redcarkids said thank you

#41 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 02:55 PM

I did not shorpen the blade because i did not want to cut grass with it. It was for show only. I perposely left the cutter bar away from the blades. Thanks for the compliment on the restoration. Here are some more flyers in color showing some more power reel mowers.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2007_1120dille0081.JPG
  • 2007_1120dille0082.JPG

• trowel said thank you

#42 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 03:40 PM

Here are some other factories and advertisements from Richmond Indiana "Lawnmower
King of the world" days. Dille & McGuire, Champion, Henley, F&N Lawn Mower companies. The photo of the men mowing is of the Founders of Dille & McGuire, 3 generations. We have very little information about the Champion Lawn mower conmpany. We do not have any mower made by them either.

Attached Thumbnails

• 003 (465x640).jpg
  • 2007_1120dille0088.JPG
  • 1890 Champion s.JPG
  • wayne_234.jpg
  • 1896 Champion Mfg Co.JPG
  • 1896 Henley Factory.JPG
  • F&N heart tag s.JPG
  • f + n lawn mower.jpg

Edited by redcarkids, March 28, 2012 - 06:36 PM.

• trowel and DB1 have said thanks

#43 boostedbuick OFFLINE  

boostedbuick
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9210
  • 73 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted March 28, 2012 - 11:26 PM

So would they be the only company that made a three wheeled front drive lawn mower? When I was in high school my cousin fixed up a similar mower in small engines class. Front wheel had a chain drive and you could spin it 360 to back up. I could probably find the thing back....

#44 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 04:02 PM

There were other companies making 3 wheeled mowers. I am not sure if they were front wheel drive though.

#45 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 04:25 PM

There were other companies making 3 wheeled mowers. I am not sure if they were front wheel drive though.

So would they be the only company that made a three wheeled front drive lawn mower?

To name a few, Jacobson, Toro, Bolens, Sears, Snapper, Locke, Worthinton.
Almost all were gange type reel mowers.