• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 09:03 AM

I have a spare LGT125, missing a few parts, but still works well. I also have a spare Kohler "K" engine laying around, with the frame section that the 72-76 pan is welded to. I had a wild thought of using this to extend the tube frame of the spare tractor with this frame piece, so I could install the 2 engines, joining them with a coupler and having a 2 engine tractor......I would find some steel tubing that fits inside or outside the frame tube and join them that way.

I am pretty sure there is no pulling class for this, but thought I might do it for sh*ts and giggles......

Comments on this nutty idea........Would I gain anything by doing this?.......besides headaches....lol

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 09:16 AM

That would be a neat tractor. Don't know what could be gained. Go for it!

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 09:32 AM

IMHO, the only downfall with something like this is tying the Govenors together and synchronizing the carbs. Otherwise one engine is doing more work, or one is holding the other back some. It would be easier to make a Y pipe for the intake manifold, finding a bigger carb, and using the Gov from just one motor to control it.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 09:43 AM

I have seen it done on larger non-governed engines, but even then the carbs have to be synchronized to gain the full benefit. I do not want to discourage the attempt, frankly I'd like to see what you come up with! The trick is getting the engines to run at the exact same R'sPM so that one isn't pushing or pulling the other as MH81 said above.

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 09:44 AM

Time the 2 engines correctly and then you could use one governor and both carbs. I have seen this done with 2 Briggs twins to make a 4 cylinder combo and it was a monster. It tore the tractor it was in a new back side! ( belt broke,wrapped around the crank and bent the tractor almost in half!)

#6 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the comments.....I guess keeping them at the same RPM would be a challenge.......You would want just one throttle control, be too tricky with 2.

#7 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7608
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 04:33 PM

Mechanically it would be a real challenge to keep both engines running the same RPM. Even with one throttle cable and both engines starting out at same idle RPM they probably won't stay together as you up the throttle. They would have to be real close mechanically, horsepower, tuning, carburation, etc. Interesting project though and if you have the time and desire it might be kind of fun. Good luck if you decide to do it.
  • poncho62 said thank you

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 06:29 PM

I keep thinking it would be easier to build an intake and use one carb, driven from one of the governors. If you used 2 carbs, it would be better to have them on an intake so their mix was common and have them linkaged together.

Piece of square tubing with the ends sealed, big enough to mount the carb(s) to and also to mount back to the intake areas of the engine should do the trick well enough. Thick wall could be tapped where the carbs would mount and thru bolt the attachments to the intakes.

#9 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 08:13 PM

There is a lot going on when you play with multi engines, one huge factor, and the one that requires 2 seperate carbs is harmonics . And crankcase pressure . Getting then absolute synced is not nessesary .it will still make tons of power.

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 08:56 PM

I can't remember if I took a picture of a fellows full size tractor at the West End Fair , Gilbert , Pa , thinking it was a "General " and he had 6 B&S engines on it . If I remember right they were belt driven to a common shaft . ,Al