Garden Tractor Forums banner

Bush Hog V4-8

5K views 56 replies 13 participants last post by  DH1 
#1 ·
Went to look at this thing today, never seen one before, this is the 2nd Bush Hog tractor I've seen in 1 week.
Don't know much about these tractors at all and I don't know whats suppose to be on this one or not.
It has a Tecumseh HH80 engine, I think a 3 speed plus reverse transmission, 4 position Variable handle some kind of PTO hand clutch off the crank, a rear lift bracket looks like a sleeve hitch without the tube for the pin, and 4 brand new tires with nibs on them.
Tractor has no attachments for it but came with a plow blade that was modified to fit the tractor.
The young lad I bought it off of was using it for tractor pulls.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

So I ask
What is this?
What features or attachments did it have?
When was it made?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Man have you laid a bombshell on me! That paint appears original on the hood, but I have NEVER seen ANY literature on a V4-8! I need to contact Bush Hog to see if they know anything of this model.
Doug, would you please take a very close-up pic of each oval with the V4-8? One could have possibly dropped a 8hp in there & changed the emblem to match maybe? If it is indeed a V4-8, then the ID plate will show that for sure.

#4 ·
The ID tag is there, lower right of dash panel, under the throttle. The sleeve lift is missing the sleeve "sliding" adapter. I'll see if I have a pic, but if I don't, I'll snap & post a pic tomorrow.
Any V4 model should have 4 forward speeds plus the reverse.

#10 ·
DH1 said:
I noticed there was 4 positions on the variable handle but could only find 4 gears or positions in the trany gear shift, shifter is really sloppy though.
Something is odd. The shift slots in the tunnel cover seem to be same distance center to each gear on the lower slot. If it is a V4, then the lower slot would be wider on the right side of neutral than the left, as the bulldog1st is way to the right as with the John Deere 110, 220, etc. It would appear it is a V3 model by the shift slot pattern. So someone has done something with the hood, replaced/repainted, or something over the years. Far as I ever seen/heard, the V3 only came as a V3-6....Tecumseh H60 engine.

#15 ·
olcowhand said:
At the angles, it's hard to truly tell. The difference is a lot from 3 to 4 speed. Pic taken of fuzzy pdf off the monitor screen.

View attachment 25476
The shifter slots doesn't look like the picture you posted.
The bottom one is wider than the top but equal on both sides of neutral, if I remember right.
Need to get this tractor home.

#19 ·
DH1 said:
I remember the tire size if that helps
Fronts were 16x6.50/8
Rears were 1 at 23x8.50/12, the other 23x10.50/12
Looks as though maybe the rims have all been swapped out, or at least painted. OE were all yellow. Sizes would be 4.80x4/8 or 16x6.50/8 (optional), and rear were 23x8.50/8. Common lug patterns, so could be swapped from brand to brand.

#23 ·
olcowhand said:
That's ok by me..... an accurate description! LOL
It's all in jest, of course. We're all that way about something. I suppose that's why we're all here, huh?

#24 ·
olcowhand said:
At the angles, it's hard to truly tell. The difference is a lot from 3 to 4 speed. Pic taken of fuzzy pdf off the monitor screen.

View attachment 25476
Daniel, you need the PrintKey 2000 v5.10. That will let you take screen shots so they aren't so fuzzy. And put a towel over the keyboard to sop up the drool.

#25 ·
KennyP said:
Daniel, you need the PrintKey 2000 v5.10. That will let you take screen shots so they aren't so fuzzy. And put a towel over the keyboard to sop up the drool.
The fuzzy is the actual pdf Bush Hog Corporation sent me. The pics on pdf are very fuzzy & some you really can't make much at all out on. But better fuzzy than none at all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.