• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mpanessa OFFLINE  

mpanessa

• Member No: 6208
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 11:51 AM

This was an interesting task.I could have cut away the battery platform to get at the snap ring that was hidden beneath it. I did not want to do that, so I removed the rear engine cover (the cover facing your knees). This allowed me access to the snap ring without damaging the tractor. You have to loosen the bolts on the side of the cover and also remove the parking brake handle, throttle assembly and ignition assembly to get the cover out of the way.( Once the hood is loose you can work it up the mower engaging lever).

After reading about the difficulty of removing the snap ring with a flat blade screwdriver, I picked up a pair of snap ring pliers for $10 at Ace hardware. It did the job easily without bloodied knuckles.

The next step is popping up the washer beneath the snap ring and then working the o-ring collar of of the rack and pinion assembly shaft. I lathered it up with WD40 and let it sit for 5 minutes. I then tapped it outwith a small steel bolt, while working it side to side from beneath. Not to bad a job if you take your time an make sure you have good lighting.

Now on to removing the main axle bolt.:confuse:

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 01:10 PM

Welcome, mpanessa! Sounds like you're having fun. Glad you got that apart!

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 04:13 PM

Welcome to GTTalk mpanessa. Thanks for posting the "How To" on the snap ring removal. If you can, post some pictures for the next phase of your work.

#4 mpanessa OFFLINE  

mpanessa

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 10:25 PM

Thanks All. I'll try to get some pics of my progress. I am wondering if anyone has any tips for removing the bolt that holds the axle assembly to the frame. I can't get it to budge.
I've tried crescent wrenches, sockets, vise grips and heated it up. I don't know if I heated it up enough. How far can you go when heating up a bolt?

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 05:16 AM

mpanessa,welcome to the forum.
Glad to have you with us.

Sometimes,if you heat it up cherry red and then quench it with cold water,that will break it free.

#6 mpanessa OFFLINE  

mpanessa

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 05:01 PM

I'll give that hot and cold treatment a go.