wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 24, 2011 - 11:14 PM

I know they exist but none are for sale on ebay, so thinking of making my own, and using a piece of 3 inch channel (I know I have a piece of it laying around lol) and buy a piece of flat stock to fit my hitch. I am curious as to what others have built. My thought is to just drill 5/8" hole thru the top and bottom flange of the channel, and two holes on the side of the channel to weld nuts into (for the jamb bolts). Then weld the C channel to the flat stock with the open side facing the implement. Anyone think I should double up the top and bottom flange or is that overkill, or should I weld a tube into the channel? What should I do with the extra 1/2" gap? Only implement I plan to use with the adapter is my 42 inch sleeve hitch blade, as I have all the other slot hitch implements already.

Or am I wasting my time building an adapter for one implement and should consider modifying the implement? Only drawback is I want to be able to maintain it at sleeve hitch implement too. Suggestions?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted November 25, 2011 - 12:34 AM

Casey, sounds like a good plan, but I'd flip the C over. The jam bolts won't have to be near as long and you can sleeve right thru your flat stock that way. It'll also allow you to weld some pcs back down to the flat stock to really add rigidity.

A little thing to keep in mind when measuring for the flat stock, most slot hitches have some wear at the rear, so don't measure all the way at the back, figure the min w x h inside the slot. KK's slot hitch was worn enough that I had to thin the flat stock on her tool bar.

Take pics & good luck.