11 replies to this topic

#1 mixedbreed96 OFFLINE  

mixedbreed96

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7095
  • 11 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted November 24, 2011 - 06:05 PM

got my blade mounted and able to lift with my mower deck lift control. looking for a way to make some sort of homemade weight, and ido not have chains, im thinking drain the tires a little with some weight in the rear and she should plow ok, any ideas? or if anybody has some old weights or chains theyed like to donate that would be another story (: thanks guys!

#2 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted November 24, 2011 - 06:45 PM

Its not going to go anywhere without chains...just saying

#3 Mark Ohio ONLINE  

Mark Ohio

• Member No: 2241
  • 15 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted November 24, 2011 - 08:01 PM

Its not going to go anywhere without chains...just saying

Ditto, been there tried that with both my old Jake and my current LT150. I ended up using some old auto chains. Still need to cut them down so I don't have to wrap them around nearly twice. LOL

#4 mixedbreed96 OFFLINE  

mixedbreed96

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7095
  • 11 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted November 25, 2011 - 11:09 AM

has anyone ever made homemade chains?

#5 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4149
  • 44 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted November 25, 2011 - 01:30 PM

You can get chains from your Deere dealer or even try Sears Because ther Lawn tractors Made By HOP are Using that smaller rear tire Like the STX used the 18X someting rear Tire. I take it Your STX is a Black deck STX. Just Go slow when Plowing and Try Not to Take to big of a Bite and You should Be fine Plowing The Front wheel weights for the Current Deere Lawn & Garden tractors will fit On Your STX's Rear Tires:thumbs:

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 25, 2011 - 03:43 PM

My first tractor was a JD LT160. Probably about the same size as your 38. I had 120lbs of sand in a tractor trunk on the back end and 2 link chains on it. It was OK in light snow but if the snow was wet and heavy it just didn't have the weight or traction to push it. Don't expect too much. I had a blower for backup. Chains and weight are both a must have.

#7 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• 44 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted November 25, 2011 - 10:47 PM

My first tractor was a JD LT160. Probably about the same size as your 38. I had 120lbs of sand in a tractor trunk on the back end and 2 link chains on it. It was OK in light snow but if the snow was wet and heavy it just didn't have the weight or traction to push it. Don't expect too much. I had a blower for backup. Chains and weight are both a must have.

Deere really designed the STX to really only Take a 38inch Blower when They Based the Sabre's on the STX They decided snow Blades would Be alright and the Black deck STX's Had the same Deck attachment set Up that was used on the Sabres so they Black decks will take the sabre snow Blade But I really suggest trying to find a Blower for the STX which will Put Less strain On the trans. But Using a Blade on the STX Just Make sure You Keep Up on the snow and Try Not to Let it Get deeper than 4 to 5inches if deeper Don’t Take a full width of the Blade and use it angled as Much as Possible if Using it in Deeper than 4 to 5inches:thumbs:

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 07:35 AM

One problem I had with my LT160 was that the blade didn't have a trip spring. It was a 42 or 44" JD yellow blade. If you hit anything solid it would fetch up and the hood would pop open on the tractor. Not good. I only kept it 1 year. I had originally planned to get a blower for it as Sergeant suggested. My intent was to be able to change between the blower and blade. This could not be done easily so I opted for a walk behind blower. I upgraded to an X475 with a 54 blade. Big upgrade, big$, but it did the job.

#9 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 01:54 PM

You could make chains out of old small tire car chains - the problem would be finding small tire chains as the rear tires on the STXs weren't garden tractor tires. Also, advice given by Sergeant is spot on - those STXs weren't design for the type of abuse using a snow blade will encounter. They're have pretty flimsy frames and very light duty transmissions.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 02:06 PM

They do make chains to fit those LT's though. Snowblowers are available for them and chains are necessary for using one. Sears sells the 20x10/8 size and so do the JD dealers. Sears usually has the best price.

#11 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• 44 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 09:20 PM

They do make chains to fit those LT's though. Snowblowers are available for them and chains are necessary for using one. Sears sells the 20x10/8 size and so do the JD dealers. Sears usually has the best price.

:ditto:

#12 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• 44 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 09:36 PM

You could make chains out of old small tire car chains - the problem would be finding small tire chains as the rear tires on the STXs weren't garden tractor tires. Also, advice given by Sergeant is spot on - those STXs weren't design for the type of abuse using a snow blade will encounter. They're have pretty flimsy frames and very light duty transmissions.

I have to say TMO The trans were Better in the STX Gear or Hydros than what is Used in most Current D100 series. I have a 1999 Sabre 1542HS that based on the STX and I would Not Put a snow Blade On it But I would consider the 42inch two stage they Made For it BTW if the OP has a Black deck STX the Sabre or Scotts by JD 42inch Two stage Blower will work on it. That was a interesting thing about the Sabre Lawn Tractors They had two stage Long Before the rest of the Deere Lawn Tractor Line or 1990's Mid level Garden tractor line. BushHog96 Here is One Other thing that would Probably come In Handy for the STX for snow removal BM17937 Headlight Kit:thumbs: