Garden Tractor Forums banner

wheelhorse belt size

10K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  gapper 
#1 ·
I just noticed the other day that my drive belt on the 1971 wheelhorse 800 special has a pretty good tear in it,so instead of waiting to change it and get caught in a snowstorm i thought i would do it now.The only trouble is i cant find the size of this belt, so i was hoping someone could tell me the size or lead me in the right direction. Thanks:help:

#3 ·
Perhaps this is a good place to ask this question. I know that the newer Wheel Horse belts are pitched differently than "normal V" belts. As a result, replacement belts that are not Wheel Horse original wear out very quickly. At what point did the pulley pitch change, or were they always done that way?

#4 ·
What pitch are you questioning. I doubt the pitch length has changed but they never published that info. Many original belts end up in a reverse bend application under a flat idler. The pitch length of that belt could be smaller than the pitch length of a belt over a V-idler.

The green Gates/Napa belts have a smaller pitch length than their black standard fractional hp belts with the same outside belt length.

Garry

#5 ·
I once bought a standard "V" belt from TSC to replace the drive belt on my 314-8 It failed in just a couple of months. When I asked at the dealership why this would be, they explained that the "V" is deeper on the Wheel Horse belts causing the generic belts to have less contact with the pulley surfaces. Maybe it was just a sales pitch, but I replaced it with a Wheel Horse belt and got a solid 12 years of service out of it. This is just my experience, and I wondered if you'd had the same experience.

#6 ·
caseguy said:
I once bought a standard "V" belt from TSC to replace the drive belt on my 314-8 It failed in just a couple of months. When I asked at the dealership why this would be, they explained that the "V" is deeper on the Wheel Horse belts causing the generic belts to have less contact with the pulley surfaces. Maybe it was just a sales pitch, but I replaced it with a Wheel Horse belt and got a solid 12 years of service out of it. This is just my experience, and I wondered if you'd had the same experience.
I have found this to be true of all equipment manufactures.

#7 ·
caseguy said:
I have never compared the two but have used the green Gates belts for years because I can get them easier. Have never had one fail yet and the snowthrower drive belt takes the most abuse. After the equipment warms up it runs wet because the snow melts as soon as it hits it but it keeps on going.

Other than fractional hp belt construction and power rated construction the belt length may be the limiting factor in durability. Many original belts have an odd fractions of an inch length the aftermarket does not match in most cases.

As a matter of interest I have a list of 1054 Wheel Horse/Toro belt numbers.
720 of the 1054 numbers are no longer available from Toro.
339 of the 720 have been changed to a new number.
That leaves 381 belt numbers that are truly no longer available from Toro and the reason for the list.
I was hoping the aftermarket could fill this need.

Garry

#8 ·
Thank you for the information Garry! I may have gotten the wrong type of belt for my application. I'm still quite new at collecting and I greatly appreciate the input from knowledgeable guys like you! That sounds like an exhaustive list that you've compiled, must've taken a good amount of time! Thanks for all the time and help that you give to everyone who needs it here at GTTalk!

#10 ·
gapper said:
Hello guys, this looks like a good place to ask the question, What is the belt size and part number for my 71 gt14? I have my gt14 for sale and it needs a new drive belt. Thanks for the help!!!
Tractor drive belt Toro 8334 {Bx84.8"}
6985 Gates 21/32"x85"
5L850W Napa 21/32"x85"
258-085 Stens 5/8"x85"
85850 Goodyear 5/8"x85"
L585 Dayco 5/8"x85"
.625"x084.8"

Garry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.