#46 J1morris OFFLINE  

J1morris

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5694
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 11, 2012 - 09:32 PM

Got my 44 loader today - so sweet!!!! Now I would like any manuals anyone may have to help me figure out the do's and don'ts. Any help is greatly appreciated. Email is jmorris@aultecDOTcom.

#47 antiquetractors OFFLINE  

antiquetractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6720
  • 279 Thanks
  • 506 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 10:13 AM

Does anyone have a manual for a 72 112 with electric lift? I have been hanging around the Bolens page lately but this hobby started with the 112 for me.

#48 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 10:44 AM

Does anyone have a manual for a 72 112 with electric lift? I have been hanging around the Bolens page lately but this hobby started with the 112 for me.

I have some 112 Stuff. PM me your email and I will send you what I have.
  • antiquetractors said thank you

#49 antiquetractors OFFLINE  

antiquetractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6720
  • 279 Thanks
  • 506 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 10:46 AM

I have some 112 Stuff. PM me your email and I will send you what I have.

Thanks!

#50 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted January 12, 2012 - 10:50 AM

Got my 44 loader today - so sweet!!!! Now I would like any manuals anyone may have to help me figure out the do's and don'ts. Any help is greatly appreciated. Email is jmorris@aultecDOTcom.

Nothing on the loader, Sorry. If do come up with one please share it with me. I have a large JD library and love to share it.

#51 lobo OFFLINE  

lobo

• Member No: 7678
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 05:12 PM

Gary,
John Deere asked the owner here to remove the manuals so they were. Deere copyrights all it's literature and are very aggressive when it comes to protecting their copyright material. There are some literature here and you can upload some, as long as it's not copyrighted by Deere. These can be found here: JD Brochures and Misc - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

If you need a particular manual, some of us downloaded most of what was here originally and may be able to send you a copy via email, etc.

Seems many if not most mfgs offer downloads for their tractors & equip, but not the Big Green.

Just bought this 317 yesterday from a widow lady that knew absolutely nothing about it. Her knowledge added to mine, gave a combined total of ZERO. I thought that I could jump on the pueter and download enough info to get it onto the trailer....NOT TO BE... Thanks to JD there are no factory download info..Not to worry... I'll google and go... Not so fast "kemosobe"... Surfed several JD forums plus eBay; still not enough info to sneeze at...... Joined this forum and asking for a little HELP.....

Bought a new battery & fresh gasoline, and got it to fire up, and finally figured out how to make it move forward (no clutch like on my MTD & Snapper) onto the trailer; even managed to back it off the trailer at home.... It has snow blade mouunted on front that is hydrolic; I can make it go up/down..... It has hydroloic 3pt hitch on rear, but I have not figured it out yet... there is a round (turnable) knob to the rear of the gear selector, WHAT IS IT FOR??..... Is there no clutch?? Is the throttle now the clutch??... If I apply brakes, does that stop me ; without stalling the engine???

I like it; I have always wanted a JD but do not understand it.

Advice and/or info appreciated.
Thanks

#52 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 10:39 PM

Lobo,
I sent you the service manual in two parts. I hope you got both parts of the manual.

Now for your questions. If it's a 3 point, it should have a hydraulic cylinder that is hooked into your tractors hydraulics. Also, there is no clutch, it's a hydrostatic. The brake will/should stop the tractor, but the engine should not stall. Also the brake should return the motion control lever back to neutral. You can also stop your tractor by moving the motion control lever to neutral. Going from forward to reverse is as simple as moving the lever to forward to reverse, no brakes need apply.

Edited by Tmo, January 13, 2012 - 10:45 PM.

• Thegaut said thank you

#53 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 11:25 AM

Lobo,
I sent you the service manual in two parts. I hope you got both parts of the manual.

Now for your questions. If it's a 3 point, it should have a hydraulic cylinder that is hooked into your tractors hydraulics. Also, there is no clutch, it's a hydrostatic. The brake will/should stop the tractor, but the engine should not stall. Also the brake should return the motion control lever back to neutral. You can also stop your tractor by moving the motion control lever to neutral. Going from forward to reverse is as simple as moving the lever to forward to reverse, no brakes need apply.

Welcome to the forum lobo. The 317 is a nice tractor and although JD is overly picky about copyright they do still support these older tractor and quite a few parts are still available from your JD dealer. Also be sure to check out JDParts.com. You can do a model search and access parts diagrams for your tractor and if you register with a local dealer you can get pricing and order parts online.
TMO on the 314/317 the brake does not return the travel lever to neutral. The hydrostatic transmission provides braking in most cases. Simply returning the lever to the neutral position will stop you pretty fast. The parking brake is interlocked with the travel lever and if the parking brake is engaged the travel lever will not move out of neutral. This mechanism tends to get seized up if it's not maintained and if that's the case the parking brake will not work. The more modern tractors usually have a foot pedal or pedals to control your speed. The travel lever is more like a cruise control and will maintain the set speed up hills and such. For doing work where you want a constant speed it actually works quite well but it does take some getting used to and is not as safe or intuitive as the pedal system.
  • MH81 said thank you

#54 Thegaut OFFLINE  

Thegaut

• Member No: 8237
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 06:21 PM

Did the John Deere manuals get removed from this site. I can't seem to find them any where. Thanks
Gary

TMO I am new to this site and see that you may some some manuals for a JD 317. I am going to try to PM you . Thanks for any info you can provide

#55 lobo OFFLINE  

lobo

• 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 02:06 AM

Thank you TMO & Brian...
I did get the 2 part service manual & have it downloaded. I might have a good leed on Operators Manual, but won't know until next week. I haven't had opportunity to mess with it since getting it home, but I'll try to post a couple of photo's when weather clears some.
As stated in my original post, it has hydrolics front & rear; with snow plow on front & 3 pt hitch at rear. The snow plow raises & lowers as it should, and I assume the rear hitch does also.
Question... does both front & rear operate off the same two levers; if so, do both raise & lower together at same time; if so, is there not a way to operate each individually????

Still wondering about the function of the round knob down by and to the rear of the gear selector. Someone said it was to releive pressure off the hydrolics... Sounds logical, but why would I want and/or need to releive preasure???

The "travel lever" is certainly going to take some getting used to; it seems very awkward trying to make a right/left turn and speed corection at the same time.
Lobo

#56 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 08:12 AM

Lobo I'm not sure I understand what you mean be a round knob by the "Gear selector" If you could post a picture that would help. There is no gear selector on a hydrostatic drive tractor. Is the knob you are referring to on the panel where the ignition switch is. There should be a small round knob with a short slot to move it into 2 positions. That is the emergency brake.

#57 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 09:59 AM

Lobo I'm not sure I understand what you mean be a round knob by the "Gear selector" If you could post a picture that would help. There is no gear selector on a hydrostatic drive tractor. Is the knob you are referring to on the panel where the ignition switch is. There should be a small round knob with a short slot to move it into 2 positions. That is the emergency brake.

I also was wondering about that knob - and I thought he was talking about the parking brake also. If it is, then there should be a slot with a hook in it (can't remember if the hook is on top or bottom), with a lever with a small round knob on it. That's the parking brake.

And Brian, thanks on correctly me about the return to neutral thingy.

#58 lobo OFFLINE  

lobo

• 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 01:20 PM

Roadtrek 004.jpg
Here is photo of tractor and close up of the round knob.... I was mistaken about its being close to grar selector..I was thinking about selector on my MTD.

Attached Thumbnails

• Roadtrek 003.jpg

#59 lobo OFFLINE  

lobo

• 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 01:30 PM

I was mistaken about the round know being close to gear selector... Sorry.. I was thniking about selector on my MTD.. Here are photos of my "new to me" tractor; with close up of the "round knob."Roadtrek 004.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Roadtrek 003.jpg

Edited by MH81, January 15, 2012 - 03:44 PM.
moved pics out of text

#60 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 15, 2012 - 03:19 PM

That knob is the hydrostatic transmission relief valve. You normally turn it all the way counterclockwise to run. If you want to push the tractor you have to turn that valve (I'm going from memory here) all the way clockwise to protect the transmission from damage. If it is left in that position you won't get any drive from the transmission. You don't have any decals on your tractor to tell you what's what. It looks like your tractor has had a few mod's done to it. The front blade is not a JD setup. If you have a 3pt. hitch and the front blade that is a nicely equipped tractor.