IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 07:23 AM

Just curious if the Kohler K___ was perhaps a candidate to go into the 66' frame, as Doug suspects. Trying to see if the extra bolt
holes in the frame match the K___ mounting holes.

#62 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 07:41 AM

Just curious if the Kohler K___ was perhaps a candidate to go into the 66' frame, as Doug suspects. Trying to see if the extra bolt
holes in the frame match the K___ mounting holes.

I'll put my shoes on and go take a look.

#63 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted January 04, 2012 - 08:05 AM

I'll put my shoes on and go take a look.

Still not sun up yet but hope this helps some. The frame is a '70 M12 which the PO attempted to install a K241. Its footprint is 6.250 x 10.5. I believe Chad, Ihcubguy told me that it had the larger cast iron pan--he could verify, but the frame is obviously quite different--Lee :sleep:
The engine pattern--block to pan-- is 4 1/4 x 10. They mtd the pan directly, leaving out 1 bolt. the smaller pattern, 7.5 x 3.75 is presumably for the original HH120.

P1030082.jpg

Edited by Toolpartzman, January 04, 2012 - 08:19 AM.

#64 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 10:06 PM

Still not sun up yet but hope this helps some. The frame is a '70 M12 which the PO attempted to install a K241. Its footprint is 6.250 x 10.5. I believe Chad, Ihcubguy told me that it had the larger cast iron pan--he could verify, but the frame is obviously quite different--Lee :sleep:
The engine pattern--block to pan-- is 4 1/4 x 10. They mtd the pan directly, leaving out 1 bolt. the smaller pattern, 7.5 x 3.75 is presumably for the original HH120.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27621[/ATTACH]

Hey guys I wasn't online yesterday but maybe I can help here a little bit and shed some light on this. It is possible that a K241 could have been used in the Massey frame IF it had the PROPER oil pan on it as Kohler used several different pans on their engines depending on application. The pan that was on the Kohler Toolpartzman has is the style that they used on an engine that would go into say a Wheel Horse where the pan has a flange on each corner with a hole that a bolt can go thru down into the frame and a nut can thread onto. This would be the 6.25x10.5 mounting pattern. To use this style of pan on a Massey frame doesn't work as it pushes the motor froward to sit on the level part of the frame and with the way they have the hood and grill attached it interferes with the exhaust which is what Toolpartzman ran into with his tractor.

The other style they used is the same style that is on Cub Cadets. This style the pan is bolted onto the engine and then the pan itself has threaded blind holes in it that a bolt threads into from the underside of the tractor frame. The mounting pattern on these holes is 5x7.5. On the Tecumseh HH's that Massey used the mounting holes are 4x7.5 so it is conceivable that if there is an extra set of holes in the one side of the frame that it was done to consider use of a 10HP K 241 in at least the MF10.

As for using a 12HP K301 in a Massey frame it's not as easy as the issue of the mounting holes as I found out with my transplant. A Kohler K301 has an oil pan with a deep sump on it which will NOT allow it to sit on the frame rails and be bolted down to them. The reason being is that a K301 has a long dipper on the connecting rod cap for oiling purposes thus needing the deep pan. Also in order for this style of pan to clear under the frame the structure of the tractor has to be modified. First off the frame itself has to have a 3"x7" hole cut out of it for the pan to recess thru. 2ndly the rear crossmember for the front axle has to be cut out the same 3" width as the frame hole and 2 1/2" deep because the oil pan sits right over this area when the same holes as what the Tecumseh mounts too are used. This takes the bulk of the "meat" outta this piece of steel. To compensate for this I had to weld in a piece of C-channel that reconnects the frame with the front axle crossmember. 3rdly the original holes on the right side of the frame had to be moved over by the width of one hole to let the pan fit down inside the frame without hitting the center frame brace.

A K241 10HP can have a flat bottom oil pan as the dipper is not as long which is why I say they could have conceivably used at least that model in their tractor lineup. I actually have a K241 with a flat bottom pan on my Cub Cadet 100 which originally came from a Wheel Horse and had a pan like Toolpartzman's.

I have some pics of my frame that shows the modifications I had to do to fit my K 301 that I'll put in a seperate post to follow.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#65 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 10:51 PM

100_2151 (Small).jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2148 (Small).jpg
  • 100_2147 (Small).jpg

• mikebramel and IamSherwood have said thanks

#66 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted January 06, 2012 - 02:20 AM

How are these different from the later models?

This is my first Massey, and I like to make my videos as informative as possible. I know thebCubs and DB's better.

Unless I missed it in the post somewhere, I don't think anyone answered you. I believe the later ones were plastic.

#67 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 09:07 PM

Another Update

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4v_uL1enH0
OBP Episode 52 - Massey Ferguson MF10 Part 7 - YouTube

#68 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 10:28 AM

Ok what's the easiest way to remove the SN sticker on this tractor? It looks to be glued on. Also whats the best way to clean the paint front the aluminum dash?

#69 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 05:06 PM

Another Update

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tXpp_spX6s

OBP Episode 53 - Massey Ferguson MF10 Part 8 - YouTube
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#70 xrman2 OFFLINE  

xrman2

• Member No: 4673
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted January 08, 2012 - 11:57 PM

I have a 66 MF10,68MF10,not sure on the otherMF10,and a MF12 Hyd. Drive I put a 14HP Kohler on, Have a MF12 Vari-speed for parts.

#71 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 03:42 AM

I have a 66 MF10,68MF10,not sure on the otherMF10,and a MF12 Hyd. Drive I put a 14HP Kohler on, Have a MF12 Vari-speed for parts.

Welcome to GTT:wave:

How about opening a thread, and showing us some pictures of your herd.

We love pictures:bounce::bounce:

#72 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 05:10 AM

xrman2,welcome to the forum.Glad to have you with us.

:picsoritsnotyours::D

#73 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 06:04 AM

When I took the transmission pully off, it only had 3 shims, is that how many these came with?

#74 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 07:07 AM

When I took the transmission pully off, it only had 3 shims, is that how many these came with?

I recall there being more. Maybe 5, I think.

Agco shows 6pc.

#75 xrman2 OFFLINE  

xrman2

• Member No: 4673
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted January 09, 2012 - 08:59 AM

Thanks Fellows. And Yes mjodrey that is my MF10 with 13HP Honda clone. I would share some pictures of my herd and my dads herd if I could figure out how to,HAHA. Not real good at this stuff.