• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jmoar OFFLINE  

jmoar

• Member No: 443
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 10, 2010 - 01:39 PM

So I just bought my second MF 12 this one with the snow blower, rototiller and a deck, but the engine is knocking and the tranny is leaking. Does anyone know where a good spot to repacement parts for these are? My first mower runs great, no problems except i need blades for the deck. Again does any one know a good spot to get these? The mounting holes are a weird shape and I am having problems trying to locate suitable repacement parts.

Any help would be great.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 10, 2010 - 01:48 PM

:welcometogttalk:jmoar,glad to have you here.

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted May 10, 2010 - 04:07 PM

Welcome....There are quite a few MF owners here....might be able to help you with some parts....and ideas on those blades

#4 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted May 10, 2010 - 04:22 PM

welcome to the brotherhood jmoar!!

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 10, 2010 - 06:54 PM

So I just bought my second MF 12 this one with the snow blower, rototiller and a deck, but the engine is knocking and the tranny is leaking. Does anyone know where a good spot to repacement parts for these are? My first mower runs great, no problems except i need blades for the deck. Again does any one know a good spot to get these? The mounting holes are a weird shape and I am having problems trying to locate suitable repacement parts.

Any help would be great.

First off welcome to GTtalk. Second the blades are still available through the Massey/Agco dealers. I don't really know what the best source for tecumseh parts are. I know some can be had on ebay. As for the tranny I am pretty sure that gaskets are still available. If it is a variable speed then it is a peerless and they are a common tranny.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted May 10, 2010 - 08:18 PM

Jack's Small Engine has the blades...$18.66 each. Here's the link:

Jacks Small Engines Search

#7 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted May 10, 2010 - 08:48 PM

As for engine parts I just google "tecumseh parts" and start searching. I also keep an eye out for parts tractors that have the HH tecumsehs. Some Sears, Bolens, Wheel Horse and John Deere models use them and I'm sure there are others. I found a great running rebuilt hh100 on a wheel horse for $100. The deck and electric pto were shot so it was cheap. The mf10/12 gear drive use a peerless 2300 series transaxle. An easy way to get parts for them is threw a john deere dealer. The 200-216 use the same trans. I just bought axle seals and detent balls&springs for one of my mf12's last week. I can't find the receipt but I remember the seals were just over $7 and the balls&springs were cheap. I just told the jd parts guy I needed them for a jd 212 and he looked them up for me, they were in stock. If you need other parts for the trans they should be able to look them up also. Napa can also cross the jd part# for the axle seals (M40676). They are $6.99 at napa but they have to order them. I'm going to order a couple pair to have on hand, jd dealer only had 2 seals in stock. There is a really nice manual for the peerless trans in the manual section of this site. If you need part#'s just ask in this forum, I have parts books and other members probably do too. I'd upload them to the site but don't have a scanner yet and it would take a long time if i did. Welcome to GTTalk and good luck getting your 2nd 12 in shape, we gotta keep these great tractors going.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted May 11, 2010 - 02:13 PM

I want to put new detent balls and springs in my tranny on the 12 because I basically have to hit that magical spot to get second gear.

#9 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted May 11, 2010 - 04:10 PM

Really, none of mine seem to have a "magical spot", they just go right into gear and stay there. Wierd?

#10 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted May 11, 2010 - 04:12 PM

I want to put new detent balls and springs in my tranny on the 12 because I basically have to hit that magical spot to get second gear.

Does your tractor have the lever like stop thing that you have to flip out of the way to go all the way to first gear. If its in the right spot it should stop your shift lever in the "magical spot" for second. I had to add a piece to one of my tractors to get it in the right spot. It was a real pain before that especially when plowing and snowblowing when I had to go back and forth a lot. Now I just push the shift lever till it hits the stop and I'm in. Also keeps it from popping out of gear.
  • gismo said thank you

#11 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 11, 2010 - 06:55 PM

It seems like any one who has problems with MF10 or MF12G tranys it's always second gear that gives trouble, I've had 2 tranys that both had bad detent springs and 1 had a shifter shaft problem. The picture shows 2 shifter shafts for 2 different tranys -R N 2 1-
The one on the top you can see one of the groves is different, that's 2nd gear spot, why it's like that I don't know. The top shaft came from a trany that would jump out of 2nd gear, I put a new detent spring in it and it still didn't feel right (the same as the other positions), the lower shaft with new detent springs feel's the same as the other gear positions.
I think that a good detent spring and ball with the flip stop lever adjusted in the right spot would go a long way in solving the 2nd gear problems.

Attached Thumbnails

• 66 MF10 077..jpg

#12 jmoar OFFLINE  

jmoar

• Member No: 443
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 13, 2010 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for all your info guys, I have a Hydrospeed, in both my tractors, they are a little difficult to work with and work on, but on the plus side i just hadon HH120 rebuild and gonna put it on tonight, new crank bearings and seals, and the tank is all cleaned up I'll be good to go!