• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 25, 2011 - 05:08 AM

Glad to here you got some seat time Brian, but you know what. You can keep all that winter out there.
10 degrees C here today, and they call for 11 tomorrow. Yipee

Thats nice Will. We are headed for a mild weekend as well with temps in the 10c range. This has been a great fall weather wise. I'm sure winter will show up there before long.

#17 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 25, 2011 - 05:14 AM

It's supposed to get up to about 8 or10 degrees C here today.

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 25, 2011 - 05:20 AM

One thing I've noticed with the all wheel drive vehicles I've driven (Jeep Wagoneer and Honda Element) is they seem to wander more in deep snow then my Silverado 4x4. They did good though on ice and when your in and out of snow and slop on an otherwise mostly dry road when you really don't want to use the part time 4x4.

The Subaru AWD is full time and always on. Not sure about the Jeep but Honda's system is fwd and it switches to AWD when it senses wheel spin. I have a 5speed so the torque split is fixed at 50/50 all the time. If you are in snow and get aggressive with the throttle it behaves like a RWD and will oversteer. This is a bit of a surprise for anyone used to FWD. It was nasty gooey snow with a couple of inches of ice pellets on top of it. There were deep ruts made by 4WD plow trucks and since they were wider than the Forester I kept having to fight to keep it running in them. When I think about it, that was probably the root of the problem. I'm glad I didn't have to drive the whole 15 miles or so to work in those conditions.

Edited by JDBrian, November 25, 2011 - 05:21 AM.
Punctuation

#19 Mark Ohio OFFLINE  

Mark Ohio

• Member No: 2241
  • 15 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted November 25, 2011 - 08:15 PM

I did not know that about the Honda. It's a company vehicle I drive once in awhile. The Jeep was a 1979 Quadratrac system that my dad had and then I drove for several years until 87. I think it just had limited slip clutches in the transfer case to keep the drive line from binding up on turns. I do remember a switch in the glove compartment that locked the wheels together somehow if you hung it up. We never used that. One thing for sure was it liked to eat u-joints. Also had to change the oil in the transfer case pretty often or the clutches would start sticking. You'd turn a corner and romp, romp, romp. It would vibrate your teeth. Not to good for the u-joints neither. LOL

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 27, 2011 - 07:14 AM

Those older 4WD systems were pretty crude. Subaru only makes AWD vehicles so they have it sorted out really well. Audi also has an excellent system but they are pricey. When I first got the Subaru I got stuck in a miserable storm. We were creeping home for hours over icy slush covered roads. In front of me was a Honda CRV. I could see the 4wd engaging every time he moved forward. The front wheels would spin and then the rear ones would kick in. IMO, in those conditions, it is not as good as the Subaru full time system. However it has the potential for less wear and for better fuel economy. I drove Hondas for 15 years before switching to this Forester. I must say it's been about the best car I've ever owned in terms of reliability and lack of repairs even though it has the extra mechanical stuff associated with 4wd.