Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

WH C105 Diesel Swap. Any tips for a newb?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bob243 OFFLINE  

bob243

• Member No: 7537
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 12:12 AM

Anyone have any tips or lists of parts I will need to swap one of the china clone diesels into a C105 Wheel Horse? Is there a specific engine to use?

From various google searches I gather that the factory Kohler has a 1-1/8" crank and the diesel has a 1" ? I can make a sleeve on my lathe, and cut a slot for a key on my mill, but is this the best way to overcome this?

Is the original drive belt/clutch(tensioner) set-up sufficient or is it common to upgrade, if so with what?

I would like to keep the pto clutch, I don't plan on having a deck on it, but one day I may venture into a hydraulic pump, but I think I should stick to one thing at a time for now.

Any suggestions for putting on a stack?

Quite honestly other than pulling a trailer around an old logging road to gather firewood, I have no significant need for it, its a toy :D

#2 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 07:35 AM

It should be pretty well straight forward. other than the shaft adapter needed, make it a tight fit ,and it should be fine. I did this to a project I did a few years ago and it held up perfectly. Not sure what the WH's use for an electric clutch , but I think it should work fine.
Please keep us posted and take plenty of pics for us :thumbs:
  • bob243 said thank you

#3 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted November 24, 2011 - 09:36 AM

im since this is a belt drive machine ther is just a pulley on the crank? I would buy the right size pulley for the crank over making a sleeve. same with the electric pto. I think you would have problems with shearing keys if you add the 1/8 inch sleeve which isnt much material to work with anyway. i could be completely wrong without seeing the original setup though and seeing Keith has done it already.

Im not a fan of using PTO clutches for driving hydraulc pumps. seems like an expensive way of doing it instead of a direct coupling. the only advantage i see is disengaging it for starting
Frank

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted November 24, 2011 - 10:02 AM

Actually, my Wheel Horse GT14 I owned years ago had a factory placed sleeve on it's 1" crank to use their 1 1/8" pulley. It was many years old & the pulley was snug as ever. An electric pto to disengage a hydraulic pump would be a good idea if you only use the hydraulics a small percentage of the time. On my Massey w/loader, I run a fixed belt with no way of disengagement & the engine still starts fine even with the drag.

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted November 24, 2011 - 10:17 AM

I put a Lister-Petters into a wheel horse and it was pretty simple setup. It'd still be there if the differential hadn't given out. The belt drive worked just fine. Your probably going to have to sleeve it if your using the original clutching pulley.
Good luck with your project.

#6 bob243 OFFLINE  

bob243

• Member No: 7537
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 24, 2011 - 12:11 PM

im since this is a belt drive machine ther is just a pulley on the crank? I would buy the right size pulley for the crank over making a sleeve. same with the electric pto. I think you would have problems with shearing keys if you add the 1/8 inch sleeve which isnt much material to work with anyway. i could be completely wrong without seeing the original setup though and seeing Keith has done it already.

Im not a fan of using PTO clutches for driving hydraulc pumps. seems like an expensive way of doing it instead of a direct coupling. the only advantage i see is disengaging it for starting
Frank

A Drive pulley would be pretty easy to obtain with a 1" bore.

The original PTO from the WH is a lever with a clutch type set-up, However, I would not be opposed to going electric. Do you (or anyone) know where to start to look for one?

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted November 24, 2011 - 12:45 PM

You will have to fabricate a mounting bracket to attach the clutch to. Those darn electric clutches demand high dollars even used. I tend to hang onto any that I can get my hands on and they always seemed to get used on something. I usually find mine on discarded tractors.

#8 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted November 24, 2011 - 08:51 PM

I thought you had an electric pto but since its a mechanical pto clutch i would keep that.
Daniel and Keith said the pulley sleeve has worked well for them so that should be fine. It all depends on your engine now.