• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 foot hill OFFLINE  

foot hill

• Member No: 6967
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 08:59 PM

I used to use a good quality Aluminum spray paint. Something with lots of Aluminum particles in it. It has always worked for me.

+1 on that.
I use good quality HIGH TEMP aluminum paint. VERY LIGHT COAT!
After all cleaning and prep. Retap or chase threads. Then I use light spray oil (wd40) to spray cyl. Bores and piston tops. Then wipe block top with solvent or brake cleaner.
The oil will let you wipe away any overspray on piston top and bores.

#32 Billygoat OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted November 24, 2011 - 08:09 AM

I have painted used head gaskets in the past and used Copper Coat also. Both worked well. If one has to go buy it, there probably isn't much cost difference between a can of sealer and a new gasket. I also have a small bottle of Indian Head on the shelf. If one can't find that, Permatex Aviation is pretty close. That stuff will seal about anything, but is very hard to get off and the parts can be very hard to get apart later.

#33 Fleetman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 56461
  • 21 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 12:13 PM

Yes, I realize this is a very old post but since I'm new here I'm just kind of looking around at threads that catch my eye.

I just had to comment on the Indian Head Shellac as I've used it for years and years......great stuff and I really can't remember a time when my shop has been without it.  My favorite use for it aside from sticking gaskets in place is using it on the inside of coolant hoses.  I've done this for years on every engine from gasoline automobile engines to EMD710's and I have NEVER had a comeback due to a water leak from a hose.

Also, just wanted to add this site is AWESOME and I really enjoy reading back on some of the stuff and have gotten a few ideas for possible future repairs.

I'll get around to a signature soon but in the meantime, my fleet is a '47 Farmall "A" w/72" Woods underbelly mowing deck, 1994 Troy-Bilt GTX-18 w/48" mow deck, and a 1995 Ingersoll 4020PS w/60" mow deck and 48" snow thrower with a winter cab.

Edited by Fleetman, May 14, 2014 - 12:47 PM.

• MH81 and HowardsMF155 have said thanks