32 replies to this topic

#16 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted November 22, 2011 - 08:47 PM

Good to have the oldtimer's around.It seems whenever i get a tip from what they did or used back in the day it never fails.

#17 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 22, 2011 - 09:01 PM

i used indian head sealer before. it works ok i guess, i have nothing to compare it to, but i did fix a shoe with it once. its tough stuff. and gets hard. i have a blob of it on the fenderpan of my bolens ht20 still lol. i havent bothered to try and get it off with a knife.

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 22, 2011 - 10:43 PM

Now we know who the "old timers " are . Those whom remember what it is .
:bigrofl:

Old Timer? Naw I just started young, like I had to stand on a 5 gal bucket to see over the fender.
At 20 I would have considered a man my age to be ancient. But now I think it's fairly young.
Splain that one?

#19 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted November 22, 2011 - 10:50 PM

Indian Head Shellac

I'll bet it has been close to 40 years since I heard anyone mention Shellac. I can almost smell that sticky brown stuff.:smile1:

#20 murphy ONLINE  

murphy

• Member No: 420
  • 2 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 04:15 AM

Good to have the oldtimer's around.It seems whenever i get a tip from what they did or used back in the day it never fails.

I honestly do not know what them older guys are talking about! Shelac?? Sounds like something from the Mayflower!!!

#21 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 05:16 AM

I honestly do not know what them older guys are talking about! Shelac?? Sounds like something from the Mayflower!!!

Yes,I used to use gasket shellac on all kinds of gaskets,but never head gaskets.

#22 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 06:24 AM

At 20 I would have considered a man my age to be ancient. But now I think it's fairly young.
Splain that one?

Your so right !! When I started working( where I'm still at ) , the guys seem like they where there FOREVER and OLD , how time flys , now I'm older then then those guys where back then , Al

#23 Packrat ONLINE  

Packrat

• Member No: 5357
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 09:18 AM

I still have a couple bottles of indianhead around, along with a case of whale oil differential additive. :DI only paint bare steel head gaskets, never paper gaskets, but with such low compression, I guess it might work for a while. A new gasket is cheap insurance, and NOTHING will seal a warped head. Get some sand paper and a piece of glass and flatten it out!

Good Luck.

#24 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 12:21 PM

When I replaced the blown gasket on a Kohler K321 this summer I spent a lot of time getting the head and the cylinder deck as clean and flat as possible. If you do that you shouldn't need any fillers should you? Isn't the gasket itself somewhat able to fill in very small gaps. I just used the gasket and haven't had any trouble yet. Hopefully it's OK in the long term.

#25 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

AcreFarm

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 12:36 PM

Now another trick, my father -in Law never painted gaskets, instead he would coat them with wheel bearing grease instead. I never saw an engine he built fail.

My dad taught me that one. I've used it in a pinch with rough or torn paper gaskets and it works like a charm. I had the intentions to replace the doctored-up gaskets with new ones, but they still haven't failed. If it ain't broke... right?

#26 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 12:48 PM

i use anti-seize on most gaskets , they never leak or stick if you take it apart again .

#27 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 01:51 PM

Yes,I used to use gasket shellac on all kinds of gaskets,but never head gaskets.

I completly agree not for Head gaskets(Grease them) or with the better gaskets we have now use nothing. But it is great on valve cover gasket & pan gaskets etc.

Another trick my father in law taught me on valve pan gaskets was to tie the gasket through the bolt holes with a fine copper wire (from an old drop cord), once the bolts were started the wire could be clipped and pulled out.
Gary I never tried anti sieze, but it should work fine.

#28 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 05:14 PM

Anti seize sure is messy though. Every time I use anti seize it ends up all over the stuff I want to keep it off of, including me. It would probably keep just about any gasket from sticking. We used to put it on soldering iron tips so they wouldn't seize. They were at 650F +.

#29 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 07:49 PM

Anti seize sure is messy though. Every time I use anti seize it ends up all over the stuff I want to keep it off of, including me. It would probably keep just about any gasket from sticking. We used to put it on soldering iron tips so they wouldn't seize. They were at 650F +.

lol we call it (get-on) at work it does get on every thing .

#30 foot hill OFFLINE  

foot hill

• Member No: 6967
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 23, 2011 - 08:49 PM

+1 on that.
Just look for high temp. And I always use VERY light coating on head and block.
I use a light spray (wd40) and spray block,piston and bores. Then wipe top of block with solvent or brake cleaner. Then apply the super light coat of paint. Overspray is then easily wiped out of the cyl. Bores and piston tops because of oil.