#1 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 09, 2010 - 07:07 PM

It's a little slow on here tonight so I'm going to talk about the weather.We've been getting rain here on and off for a few days.The lawns were starting to get a little scraggly,so I figured I should do some mowing while it wasn't raining.Well I got the two lawns right in front of the house done and the rain came back.Now their saying rain all week,and I have a lot of lawns to do,well we'll see what happens.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 09, 2010 - 07:31 PM

I've been slacking on mowing due to other projects, but got most caught up today. Chance of rain almost every day this week, and my wheat is getting too mature for best feed value, and my alfalfa/orchard grass is past due cutting also. I have to start mowing it down tomorrow regardless. My Grandpa always said "you never get anything done waiting for it to rain". If the hay gets rained on too much to cure right, it'll get chopped into silage like the wheat. Sometimes you just gotta do it however you can.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 09, 2010 - 07:35 PM

I've been slacking on mowing due to other projects, but got most caught up today. Chance of rain almost every day this week, and my wheat is getting too mature for best feed value, and my alfalfa/orchard grass is past due cutting also. I have to start mowing it down tomorrow regardless. My Grandpa always said "you never get anything done waiting for it to rain". If the hay gets rained on too much to cure right, it'll get chopped into silage like the wheat. Sometimes you just gotta do it however you can.

Yeah your right,you can't wait for ever just because it's raining.

#4 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 633 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 09, 2010 - 07:59 PM

We went to my daughters today for mothers Day .........I figured, since we were going, I would take a mower with me and cut her grass since she doesn't have a mower yet. Trouble is, it snowed a bit last night.....not a lot, but her yard had some......I mowed it anyways......lol......I would imagine her neighbors had a good laugh watching me out there flinging a bit of snow around......

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 09, 2010 - 08:40 PM

We went to my daughters today for mothers Day .........I figured, since we were going, I would take a mower with me and cut her grass since she doesn't have a mower yet. Trouble is, it snowed a bit last night.....not a lot, but her yard had some......I mowed it anyways......lol......I would imagine her neighbors had a good laugh watching me out there flinging a bit of snow around......

So were you mowing or snowblowing? LOL

#6 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted May 09, 2010 - 09:59 PM

I would call it snomowing!

#7 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 633 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 10, 2010 - 06:46 AM

Wasn't that much snow....just clumps here and there......I had to cut it, weeds and dandelions taking over the place.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 10, 2010 - 06:55 AM

I know just what you mean about the dandelions,if I don't get mine mowed regularly,it looks like a sea of yellow.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 10, 2010 - 08:50 AM

I spray my yard with 2-4D almost every spring. Gets most all broadleaf & kills dandelion, but not on a windy day if you have flowers around. It'll wipe them out. When I need to, I cover flowers with bedsheets. Usually not a problem. But then I have all the access to chemicals like this used on our farm, so easy for me to do & cheaper.

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 10, 2010 - 10:00 AM

I spray my yard with 2-4D almost every spring. Gets most all broadleaf & kills dandelion, but not on a windy day if you have flowers around. It'll wipe them out. When I need to, I cover flowers with bedsheets. Usually not a problem. But then I have all the access to chemicals like this used on our farm, so easy for me to do & cheaper.

I wonder where I could get something like that here in Canada ?

#11 ariens1966 OFFLINE  

ariens1966

• Member No: 441
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 10, 2010 - 02:27 PM

Greetings from Saskatchewan! Have embraced your concept on not getting nothing done waiting for it to rain. For the last while it has either looked like rain, was raining or just finished raining. Decided today was the day! Rain or shine. Hit a brick wall tho'. I have an Ariens GT-16 and last summer I mowed with it and this past winter I blew snow with it and now I want to rototill with it. Unfortunately I am not exactly a mechanical genius...I can't figure out how to engage the tiller :confuse:

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted May 10, 2010 - 02:52 PM

welcome to GTtalk! ariens 1966! :welcometogttalk:

There are many friendly and knowledgable people here at GTT.
I am not familiar with Ariens tractors so I cant help you out much, but You will get a faster response if you were to post your Question in the ARIENS FORUM :wave:
Also we would love to see some pictures of your Machine!

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 06:18 PM

Well,another slow evening on here.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 06:20 PM

Well,another slow evening on here.

Yep, slow indeed. With all the rain scattered all over, guess not as much tractor time to keep everyone talking tractors.

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 19, 2010 - 06:25 PM

Yeah,guess your right.So ,it's raining down your way too?It's raining here and has been for a couple of days now.