Ever have one of those days ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 10:55 PM

Ever have a day where something happens and you say to yourself "Oh great now what ?"

Well I had one Friday right after work, walking out to the Jeep the left rear tire looked very low so I look at it and sure enough there it was a nice shiny piece of titanium sticking out of the tread next to the sidewall.

The only place I could have picked it up is in the parking lot at work (that's what we make 90% of our parts from) since I get off work at 2:30 am I just aired it up at work then drove home and figured I would get it to them first thing, so the next morning (which turned into afternoon) it's off to Discount Tire to see if they can save it or not ?

Well it was down so I aired it up and went straight there and talked to a very nice young man named Dan and told him patch up the tire, balance them and rotate the tires for winter, but the bad news soon came the tire was irreparable due to the location of the puncture, which I was hoping wasn't the case because it has 85% tread.

Here's exactly how the conversation went -

Ron : Ok Dan how much is this going to cost ? (Bracing myself for the worst and thinking these cost me $189 each a year ago they sure didn't go down in price !)

Dan : If you trust me let me take care of it.

Ron : OK ? What are you going to do ?

Dan : You were saying you wanted to put new tires on this coming spring right ?

Ron : Yes but not yet these are almost new !

Dan : I can put a used one on same make, size, brand and model we have in the back that was used as a spare 99% tread, so why put a brand new one on just to change them this spring/summer ?

Ron : Makes sense to me go ahead (thinking ok I may get away at half the price of a new tire ?).

15 minutes later Dan walks up and says all done it's by the door let me get the receipt.

Ron : Ok Dan whats the damage ?

Dan : Tire, rotation, balance total $0.00.

Ron : Excuse me ?

Dan : No charge consider it a loaner tire till spring when you come back for the new ones.

Ron : No I cant accept that at least let me pay the labor ?

Dan : No Sir I cant take money for something we don't charge for in the first place.

Now some have said (myself included) that customer service is a thing of the past but I can say that my faith is renewed in good old fashioned service and for that reason alone I will be going back to Discount Tire in Jackson MI. again and recommending them to anyone needing tires or repairs.

Sorry if this was long winded but you can imagine my surprise when a company puts good customer relations ahead of the bottom line.

P.S. For those that doubt it here's the receipt.

Attached Thumbnails

• discount tire recpt.jpg

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,657 Thanks
  • 39,028 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 04:50 AM

Wow! That is great news, can't beat a deal like that. I would keep going back there.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 05:23 AM

Congratulations on finding a business dedicated to customer service. They have earned your future business and you will no doubt recommend them to others. I used to shop around for tires but after some bad experiences have settled on a local shop that has really good service. Prices are competitive but not the lowest.

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,469 Thanks
  • 17,093 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 06:02 AM

That's Great!

#5 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,291 Thanks
  • 6,491 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 06:25 AM

Wow that's great !!! , I would have thought they would have had to charge you for at least something for the mounting and balancing !!! Al

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,686 Thanks
  • 28,329 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 06:27 AM

Nice to hear that stuff like that happens. Several years ago, Maytag was having problems with compressors in Fridges. Got to the point where we were doing 2 a week or so. My boss pulled 2 units out of stock for loaners so we could trade for a few days and do the repair in shop. Those 2 fridges must've been in 50 houses, and then he sold them as used after the mess was over. We've had more people talk about that... How we weren't liable to do that, but we did it to keep people happy. He has gotten paid for those fridges several times over in word of mouth advertising. I doubt I will be needing tires in Jackson MI, but if I do, I'll tell them you sent me.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 07:38 AM

Hey,that's great.

#8 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 07:22 PM

Ron that's great for us to hear but even greater for you:thumbs:, almost like an early Christmas present:smilewink:. Curious if that was where you had went before or were you a new customer? We used to get all of our company tires at the Discount Tire in MtP, but it got too be too busy on that end of town (CMU) at times and we switched over to someone closer.

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 08:28 PM

Wow, great deal, glad you found somewhere that took good care of you.

#10 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,324 Thanks
  • 4,918 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 08:48 PM

What a fantastic deal. I'd be going back there for my GT tires also.

#11 dstaggs OFFLINE  

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 552 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 08:51 PM

I've always tried to treat others as you would be treated will pay in the end. When we had the Market I always told everyone if you don't like the product don't bring it back just come back 1 day or 1 year if you're words not worth the price of what you buy there's not much to you.

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 09:53 PM

It's good to know that there are still some people out there who believe in service! Glad that found one and hope they stay that way!