40 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 01:17 PM

Good luck with that Cherokee Daniel. I've been looking for one myself. Keep driving that Auto and it just might unscramble it's little brain?
I bought a 2000 F150 from my son a week ago Saturday. He said the tranny was going out. He had had it rebuilt about 15 K ago. And it seemed to want to hunt for a gear between 30 & 40 mph. I really thought it was the Torque Converter lock up for overdrive(I wonder if they replaced the torque converter) with the rebuild? Iput it on the interstate for 42 miles each way for a week, and now it's shifting fine?

#17 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,471 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 01:41 PM

Those 4.0's are great. I wouldn't mind finding one of those with a stick shift. The Sea Foam is good stuff.
Good luck with your project

#18 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 08:48 PM

Starter drive on this Cherokee won't engage. Gear IS kicking in, but the drive is slipping. Called all the parts stores and a starter drive is not available. They don't sell individual components for anything these days!:mad2: They say I have to buy a whole starter! I did find a Jeep place or 2 online that sell it for $28 on up, but a new starter is only $57! I've taken starter drives apart many times & got them to work for years after, but this one still slips after cleaning the insides, even though the springs were fine, along with everything else. I think what I did wrong was to grease the inside. I'm thinking it should be dry in there????? Likely just buy a starter & get it over with. Gone are the days of truly fixing anything. Just toss the whole thing even though you just need a small part!:wallbanging:

#19 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,444 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 09:01 PM

Know what you mean . The starter solenoid went bad on the 82 Malibu $25 for it but a rebuilt starter was only $35 !!! Advance Auto on both Guess what I bought:smile1:

#20 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 09:39 PM

Sounds like you're getting the bugs worked out one at a time! I'm sure you'll have it in top shape in no time! I know what you mean about the kids don't care how many man-hours you wind up with in it LOL! They don't call it "free" time for nothin' you know!

#21 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 09:35 AM

Those ZJ's are good rides. The 4 liter is bullet-proof and will run forever. The weak link is the transmission. IIRC - it is a 42RE (904 w/OD) is behind the 4.0. The offered a 5 spd in 1993/1994 but they are rare.

XJ's are great too. Owned a 98 Classic for a while. The 4.0/AW-4 combo is great and one of the best engine/transmission combos on the road. 200k miles on this combo is nothing unusual. Saggy rear leaf springs are very common on the XJ.

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 09:52 AM

Daniel, I found parts for a starter at the local starter/generator repair shop. Cost me $10 instead of $95 for another starter.

#23 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 09:57 AM

Daniel, I found parts for a starter at the local starter/generator repair shop. Cost me $10 instead of $95 for another starter.

Forgot to update...had to use the Cat payloader to raise my parts Cherokee off the ground & block it up to get to it's starter. Was raining a few days and needed to get the Jeep out of the shop for a tractor repair, so finally just got wet getting the parts starter out. It works like new still. But Kenny, I thought of the same thing & will stop by a starter rebuild shop & get me a starter drive for the original starter. I have 2 such shops nearby. I had forgotten about them.

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 10:08 AM

That's about the only place you can find parts at anymore. Nobody else carries that stuff.

#25 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 01:55 PM

Ok guys, maybe someone can shed light on this. The transmission acts up still. When shifting from 1st to second, it feels as if it's slipping, but kinda pulls the engine. Almost like it's trying to go in both gears 1st & 2nd . Let off the gas & it goes on into 2nd. 2nd to 3rd is fine, and OD works for a half hour, then OD lockout light comes on. Found the transmission module under the dash. Swapped the one from my parts Grand & nothing changed. Would this be a valve body/solenoid problem? The trans in my parts Grand worked perfect before the case got cracked, so it's parts will likely still be fine. I may go join a Jeep forum to see what they say.

#26 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,471 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 02:13 PM

I may go join a Jeep forum to see what they say.

This would probably be your best bet. On these older transmissions seals and O-rings get hard and take a set. When this happens all kinds of strange behaviors can start especially if someone hasn't been diligent about servicing the transmission .
Good luck with your problem,
Chris

#27 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 02:46 PM

That trans 42re was used in rwd/4wd Chryslers from 1996-200? in some variation. It came behind 3.9 v6, 4 liter in-line six and even behind the v8 in the stronger 44re variation. It is electronically controlled and has a TV cable that controls some aspects of shifting.

An OBDII code reader might help you nail down the problem. Do you have one? Is it throwing a code and displaying the SES/Check engine light?

I would suggest www.jeepforum.com, www.naxja.org or www.bionicdodge.com as two places to use for reference. I am a mod in Jeep section over at Bionicdodge so look for Boris!

#28 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 02:55 PM

Have an OBII reader & NO codes at all, no check engine lights either. Just registered at JeepForum.com

#29 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 05:49 PM

Lucas transmission oil might clean it out and get the shifts right. We've had issues like this with our Aerostars and they go from 'failing' to perfect and last until the motors poop out at 300,000+ miles.
  • mikebramel said thank you

#30 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 08:08 PM

Ok guys, maybe someone can shed light on this. The transmission acts up still. When shifting from 1st to second, it feels as if it's slipping, but kinda pulls the engine. Almost like it's trying to go in both gears 1st & 2nd . Let off the gas & it goes on into 2nd. 2nd to 3rd is fine, and OD works for a half hour, then OD lockout light comes on. Found the transmission module under the dash. Swapped the one from my parts Grand & nothing changed. Would this be a valve body/solenoid problem? The trans in my parts Grand worked perfect before the case got cracked, so it's parts will likely still be fine. I may go join a Jeep forum to see what they say.

i would change the tanny filter and fill with new fluid . a buddy had one and it got to where it didnt want to shift and then when it did it felt funny. we pulled the pan off changed the filter (it was bad ) and put it back together and he is still driving it 4 years later with no problems .