Posted November 22, 2011 - 11:35 PM

allis chalmers homesteader 8 *very nice* | eBay

#32 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 22, 2011 - 11:37 PM

o and ranch king ron the blades are in pretty decent shape. there newer. ive seen ALOT worse.

#33 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 26, 2011 - 10:42 PM

the one difference i noticed is the homesteader has a 3 lug rear, the rest have the keyed shaft.

I believe the hubs were an option on the Broadmoor or part of the winter kit they sold for them ?

The 727 parts list calls them a snow kit but the 738 calls it a deluxe hub, either way kinda cool.

The axles on the Broadmoor's are actually just like yours they have a pin and cotter key or hairpin type of clip to keep them on the axle, but I think the PO used bolts instead of pins on the AC.

From what I can tell looking at various pictures and parts manuals from different years, I think it's more a matter of a production change from one year to the next. The first two years of Homesteaders ('71-'72) and earlier Broadmoors had the three lug hub - bolt on wheels. The '73-'74 Homesteaders and later Broadmoors have the hub / wheel combo.

so the big question here is, whats it worth?

Around south central / south eastern PA, Broadmoors and Homesteaders don't bring a lot. There's not really a collector market for them as everyone wants the larger garden tractors. I've recently seen two somewhat rough but running and driving early Broadmoors listed at $100-$125 not sell at all. When I called the seller he said he had had no interest in them, not even low ball offers. (I'm at my tractor limit right now...)
You mentioned hoping to get $400 for yours on Ebay. Around here that would be WAY overpriced.
As an example, I was told I overpaid for mine at $325 but it was what I wanted when I wanted. It's a nice condition original '74 Homesteader that runs and drives fine. It came with a very good condition deck, filled tires, rear weights, rear chains, the optional headlights, front plow, and 26" lawn revitalizer, plus ALL paperwork for original sale, parts, and maint., and two original sales brochures. The following weekend I picked up a tiller for $150 that happened to come attached to a rough but running Homesteader and an additional rough but running Broadmoor 717 with a nice deck, plus a slew of parts for a 738 Broadmoor.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Canawler, November 26, 2011 - 11:00 PM.

#34 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 27, 2011 - 08:28 AM

right now i might even drop the reserve on the thing to try and get 100 bucks out of it. i just wanna get ags for my 310 allis, finish up a diesel project so i can have my big plowing machine, and be freaking happy.

#35 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 28, 2011 - 11:17 AM

Sorry. I wasn't trying to ruin your day or anything. Just saying it was high for MY AREA. Prices obviously vary greatly by location and selling method. It might very well bring what you're looking for if you're near NYC. Also, I think items on Ebay often bring higher prices due to the much greater exposure.

#36 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 29, 2011 - 04:49 PM

i ended the listing. i got the tractor going and this thing hauls some ***. i added oil, jumped the starter and it fired right up. it doesnt burn any oil so its a keeper till i get a real nice offer on it.

#37 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 29, 2011 - 05:38 PM

Good news! I've been lovin' my Homesteader. You'll find they're a lot of fun.

#38 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 29, 2011 - 05:47 PM

and since the weed eater lawn tractor takes about 5 minutes of constant turning over to start we might keep this and use it as our primary mower.