• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 09:09 PM

the guy said he ran it low on oil and the crank bearing burned up. its free right now but he said once it goes under load give it 5 minutes and it just stops. they have almost a sideways articulation to them, its pretty cool. when i get the 310 going im gonna have my dad tow the homesteader around so i can feel what its like.

I had a Briggs 10 that would do that. It ended up being a valve shellacking up and sticking when it got hot. You might try running it and see if that's the problem. You can take the valve out and clean it & take a drill bit the right size and clean out the guide by hand. Don't use a drill.

#17 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 20, 2011 - 09:12 PM

yeah, im low on batteries around here, think pop starting is an option? ive done it with a cub cadet before.

#18 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 09:18 PM

Probably work with that generator. Might be better off to jump it and then let it run on it's own juice.

#19 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 09:21 PM

The front axle is fixed in place and doesn't pivot. The pivoting motion to follow ground contours comes at a joint where the rearend meets the front frame. There's a post on the rear frame facing straight forward that fits into a tube mounted on the front frame. If you keep it (which I highly recommend ) make sure to keep the zerk at the joint lubed.

The Homesteaders are surprisingly capable and fun to use. I think I enjoy mine more than either of my other two tractors.

#20 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 09:25 PM

so tomorrow im picking up the 2nd free tractor, and the guy said it articulates, i couldnt read the model number as it was buried under piles of boxes. but does anyone know what im talking about and if there scarce or not?

I'm thinking maybe a b-209.I just got one about a mounth ago,and the front axle is a solid mount to the frame and doesn't pivot.It pivots on the frame below the steering wheel.I never knew they made them like that.The only thing is i dont know if they made any other models like that though.

#21 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 20, 2011 - 09:53 PM

i dont know but if anyone is interested PM me. i want to make a ripper tooth for the back of the 310, kinda like a sized down cat dozer ripper.

#22 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 11:12 PM

It looks and sounds like AC's version of the Simplicity Broadmoor series ?

But the deck doesn't appear to be the same as the one I have, I think you will enjoy it allot, mine is one of the best mowing machine I have ever used.

Congrats on the new AC. Ron

#23 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 20, 2011 - 11:31 PM

do they broadmoors have a pivoting point near the center of them? if so then they most likely are pretty similar

#24 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 06:44 AM

I think the third pic in this post shows an articulating unit?
http://gardentractor...573/#post115242

#25 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 01:10 PM

do they broadmoors have a pivoting point near the center of them? if so then they most likely are pretty similar

Yes Sir they do which is why I second making sure you grease the zerk on the pivot frequently.

There is a person on another forum that got this style of tractor and wanted to use it for shows and it looked new but the previous owner never greased the pivot so as he was backing it off the trailer it broke in half.

Fortunately he didn't get hurt, but he sure wasn't happy about paying top dollar for a nice looking supposedly great shape tractor that hadn't had grease in the pivot since new. :mad2:

So make sure you get down under it and grease that zerk.

I think that Simplicity was owned by Allis Chalmers during the time period ours were built which would explain the similarities, same unit twice the market share.

Here are some pictures of my 1974 738 Broadmoor and I grabbed the one from the other thread to show what the deck I have looks like.

Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0808.jpg
  • IMG_0809.jpg
  • deck005.jpg
  • IMG_0811.jpg
  • IMG_0810.jpg

#26 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 21, 2011 - 06:28 PM

the one difference i noticed is the homesteader has a 3 lug rear, the rest have the keyed shaft.

#27 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted November 22, 2011 - 04:54 AM

the one difference i noticed is the homesteader has a 3 lug rear, the rest have the keyed shaft.

I believe the hubs were an option on the Broadmoor or part of the winter kit they sold for them ?

The 727 parts list calls them a snow kit but the 738 calls it a deluxe hub, either way kinda cool.

The axles on the Broadmoor's are actually just like yours they have a pin and cotter key or hairpin type of clip to keep them on the axle, but I think the PO used bolts instead of pins on the AC.

I think basically they are the same which is good because there are allot of the Simplicity ones still out there so parts should be easy to find if you need them.

Ron

Attached Thumbnails

• simplicity snow tire kit.JPG
  • Simplicity wheels.jpg

#28 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 22, 2011 - 08:00 AM

so the big question here is, whats it worth? i looked underneath and the pivot has been greased by the PO, the tranny goes into gear and rolls in neutral. and except for the seat i say its 99% original.

#29 Ranchkingron ONLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted November 22, 2011 - 02:49 PM

so the big question here is, whats it worth? i looked underneath and the pivot has been greased by the PO, the tranny goes into gear and rolls in neutral. and except for the seat i say its 99% original.

I have no idea where your market is but non-running tractors in my area bring more as parts or scrap, I put mine up for sale last summer and even though it needs paint but is 100% mechanically I had allot of lowballers trying to get something for nothing.

Even the people who knew what it was were offering $100-200, so I decided to keep her for light mowing.

If I were to see it for sale close to me in that condition (i.e. needs an engine, blades which are tough to find, tires etc.) I would give $200, but I know what they are and it's not rare or the Holy Grail of AC's if you look at what it is a rebadged Simplicity like my AC 710.

I would say if you find a person looking for a heavy lawn tractor rather than a GT you may get more ?

Ron

Here's a link or two to some Homesteaders and you can see the top one is identical to the Broadmoor.

The top one is like mine the bottom like yours.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Attached Thumbnails

• HSBlowerRight.jpg
  • HSMowerRight.jpg
  • IMG_0805.jpg

Edited by Ranchkingron, November 22, 2011 - 02:58 PM.

#30 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 22, 2011 - 03:29 PM

my area is high prices for tractors. city people from NYC come up with there 150 grand a year salaries and buy everything and anything. a 10 foot aluminum fishing boat that was in terrible shape that i had sold for almost 350 bucks. so i put it up on the gtt classified for best offer. if i get 400 bucks id be more than content. because i know what id buy with that money.