• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 20, 2011 - 10:29 PM

ok so i put gear oil in the rear, but when i shift it grinds sometimes, and yes im pushing in the clutch. is it possible the clutch needs adjusting? otherwise it goes great. haul butt in 3-7 going around the block about 10:30 at night =) i smell a letter from the community board coming my way =D but anyway the engine purrs like a kitten the rear grinds like a dodge. once it gets going it doesnt grind or make any noise, just smooth sailing.

#17 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 21, 2011 - 10:46 PM

ok so this morning my buddy came over and wanted to ride the 310, well it turned over, but very slowly so i figured the battery was dead, so i put the battery on trickle charge for the day, and nothing. so battery charger is shot, then i hooked the jumped to the truck and it still turned over slowly, like the starter is struggling. i pulled the meter out and im getting 12 volts at the battery, solenoid, but the starter get 8 volts give or take. any reason why? all connections have been cleaned and tightened,

#18 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,233 Thanks
  • 28,597 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 11:05 PM

If you're getting 12 volts at the output of the solenoid and 8 at the starter, gotta be a bad crimp on the cable. It could be a big short in the starter, but I'd think the starter wouldn't work at all if it was that bed. If it was mine, I'd bypass the solenoid (jump safely) and see if the starter works right.

#19 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 22, 2011 - 07:00 AM

ok i took the starter off, hooked the ground to it and the hot and it spun like mad. maybe its getting a bad ground? it worked good yesterday and thats whats honestly killing me.

#20 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted November 22, 2011 - 07:23 AM

Check the voltage through the solenoid, it may be going bad on you. Getting 12 to it and only 8 at the starter sounds like the solenoid is not sending full voltage on. Could be a bad ground on the solenoid.

#21 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 22, 2011 - 07:28 AM

yeah, the wire is exposed on the ground, but one tractor i had, i sripped 6 inches of the cover off the wire and used aluminum tape for the ground and it still worked lol. if it wasnt so rainy and crappy out id go work on it all day. but when i went to turn it over with the jumper cables, it had 12 at the battery but when id turn it over, it would barely turn, and light would dim, and the ducktape on the jumper cable would get hot and start melting.

#22 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,233 Thanks
  • 28,597 posts

Posted November 22, 2011 - 08:24 AM

If none of the wires are misbehaving, Better bench test that starter. Sounds like it's got a short.

#23 Guest_ACguy1994_*

Guest_ACguy1994_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 22, 2011 - 09:12 AM

i did, i took it off, hooked the jumper to it (red on the terminal black on the mounting plate) and it spun, kicked out, the whole 9 yards.

#24 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 02:02 AM

I think you need a manual.
http://www.simplicit..._00_SV_A_LO.pdf

You title of the thread says "310 Shuttle Shift". Is it really a shuttle 4 speed or is it a variable three speed. To my knowledge the shuttle was not a 300 series option. Some often call variables shuttles but shuttles have 4 forward gears in the transmission and reverse is activated in all four gears through a reversing planetary gear. Either of these drive systems are complicated and have to be finely adjusted to work properly and usually suffer from 40 years of wear. If it is a worn out variable, some opt to remove the adjustable pulley system and convert to straight three speed. Shuttle does not have that option as the transmission has no reverse gear.

Edited by skunkhome, January 03, 2012 - 11:45 AM.
Add info