11 replies to this topic

#1 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 08:07 AM

im just woundering y some people put there ag tires on backwards.
  • SergievDync and Andrewsync have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,444 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 08:26 AM

Never noticed it. I think on " ground engaging equipment " manure spreaders , and things like that they put them on backwards for driving the equipment but good question why on a tractors , Al

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 08:47 AM

That's a good question, I would think conventional would give best traction going forward and reversed would give better traction in reverse.
There might be some advantage on a loader tractor when the loaded bucket would take weight off the drive wheels?
Dad had the tires set up conventionally on his 310 Case Utility with the shuttle box shift(forward and reverse in every gear). That had a Snow bucket that was proportionally WAY oversize for the tractor. And was way light on the rear wheels. Reversed tires might have been a help? I've sometimes wondered if the straighter bars of loader tires were now commonly used on tractors these days for that reason?
Of all the tractors I have run over the years that 310 Case was my favorite and would buy one in a heartbeat.

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 09:20 AM

Because of the directional grip of ag (bar lug), on 2WD with front ags, you are supposed to turn them "backwards" for best steering traction in forward motion, if 4WD, fronts would go on as normal. On the rear, when doing primarily reverse pushing, you would also want them reversed for best traction. I have ags on the front of my 2WD loader tractor, but I have them in normal direction & have adequate steering traction, but then I have all that weight pushing down while using the FEL.

#5 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 09:34 AM

When I had a loader tractor with front wheel assist, I put the front tires on backwards and it made a big difference when backing up with the loader full.

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 10:17 AM

We put them on backwards when pulling on blacktop or concrete.
  • upCleanRbes said thank you

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,582 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 10:24 AM

On big tractors, if you do a lot of driving on pavement such as tractor cruises, the tires wear a lot longer running backwards.

#8 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 10:33 AM

Besides the uses listed here for runing ag treads backwards I know of one farmer who farmed on very sandy land that ran his farm tractors with the rear tires reversed. His reasoning was that the tires running the normal way are meant to dig into the soil for a better grip. On his very loose sandy soil he ran them backwards so the bar lugs would tend to gather the soil under the tread instead of digging down and him getting stuck in the field. He ran his tractors and combine that way and I guess it worked for him.
  • TrailbuildernVa said thank you

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 11:44 AM

I have seen running backwards because the owner didn't know any different. If you look from the the tires look like they are on backwards to some people.

#10 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 01:38 PM

in our area the tractor riders, reverse them because it makes the tractor ride smoother and dont have the bobble effect at high speeds.

#11 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 10:24 AM

They were backwards on the 6x6 amphibious ATV i used to have, That is what allowed it to swim, the bars became paddle wheels.

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 21, 2011 - 10:53 AM

Besides the uses listed here for runing ag treads backwards I know of one farmer who farmed on very sandy land that ran his farm tractors with the rear tires reversed. His reasoning was that the tires running the normal way are meant to dig into the soil for a better grip. On his very loose sandy soil he ran them backwards so the bar lugs would tend to gather the soil under the tread instead of digging down and him getting stuck in the field. He ran his tractors and combine that way and I guess it worked for him.

That does make sense. Come to think of it Derlyn Lester ran his backwards and his whole farm was a sandhill.