skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 05:33 AM

Ok guys, here is the scenario , I need at least 30 HP and 70ftlbs torque for my next project. Diesel is the only option, BUT, and I say again, BUT, space is limited! Can I get this kind of grunt from adding a turbo to say a D950 Kubota? As this is the largest engine that will fit. Air cooled units are too wide and heavy.
And no you can't ask what the project is, just that space is limited and torque is very key, as is rpm, need at least 2000 at peak torque .
Another huge concern is radiator capacity and if it will need an inter cooler ?
Has anyone played around in this area before ? :thumbs:

Edited by skyrydr2, November 19, 2011 - 06:53 AM.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 05:52 AM

Even with a turbo you would be pushing 950cc pretty hard to get 70ft/lbs at 2000. What if you lowered the gearing to match up more closely to the natural HP peak of these small diesels and let the gearing produce the increased torque.

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 06:13 AM

Unfortunately I need the rpm . What I did find out in the last few minutes is stepping up to 1105 I can get really close to my Target, infact, it has 10 more ftlbs. and with a turbo,20 more! So now the question is cooling, the engine will fit,but can I get a radiator to fit... Hmmm.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 06:40 AM

I think you can do it :D

A turbo diesel would be an awesome project. As long as you can get the fuel turned up to match with the turbo.

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 09:26 AM

Many turbo engines have specially hardened crank journals to withstand the much higher pressures put on them. As with the big tractor Massey 1100 & 1130. Both the same basic engine, but the 1130 has the hardened cranks. Many times if you put a turbo on a naturally aspirated engine, you will have crank failure. I'd never put a turbo on a non-turbo engine myself, but that's just me.

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 09:31 AM

Another problem with adding a Turbo to a NON-Turbo Diesel, is if you turn the fuel up to match the increase in air, it will probably smoke at lower RPM's. Most Turbo Diesels have a line running from the manifold to pump to compensate for this.

#7 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 10:32 AM

I ran into a guy east of me at Arkansaw Plow Days that turbocharged his Yanmar 374 in his JD. He was running in the neighborhood of 4 lbs boost and could make 10 lbs with more fuel. No Dyno test but noticeable HP improvements.
Yes you will have to watch our cooling system capacity and IAT. Depending on how much fuel you put to it EGT may be an issue as well. Mike did an excellent write up on the project over at WFM. Just do a search for "turbo".

#8 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 10:40 AM

What is the project? :mecry:Just kidding...

I read somewhere that the Yanmar 3TNA series is rated up to 40hp. May have been a marine application.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 11:53 AM

If you look at the 3X20 series Deere tractors If memory serves the 3520 and 3720 use the same Yanmar engine with different amounts of boost to achieve increased HP.

#10 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4529
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 01:56 PM

Many turbo engines have specially hardened crank journals to withstand the much higher pressures put on them. As with the big tractor Massey 1100 & 1130. Both the same basic engine, but the 1130 has the hardened cranks. Many times if you put a turbo on a naturally aspirated engine, you will have crank failure. I'd never put a turbo on a non-turbo engine myself, but that's just me.

yes you could end up with a crank or rod failure. but i think the head gasket would let go before the bottom end would. it all depends on the psi the compressor is putting out.
kids with their hondas will attest to them little engines bottom ends being totaly fine even with moderate to high boost levels (low being around the 7-8psi. mark, and high around the 10-15psi.--- i won't go into the stupid levels these little engine will take:blush2:) in a stock aluminum engine. the real only issue on them is the stock head gasket doesn't like anything more than 10psi..( still almost 150hp more than the stock n.a. engine) never a problem with the rods, crank or pistons if everything is in perfect working order and proper. the little diesel the op is talking about is a far more stout engine than that of the honda gasser, and i would think it would have no problems living a long life if he keeps the boost in check. don't expect to get more than about 10 safe hp out of the turbo set-up. if thats isn't enough, make a bigger engine fit. the tractor and engine is steel, weld it up!:D

#11 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 07:58 PM

when are we going to find out what it is?

#12 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 05:14 AM

Thanks guys, I think I know what engine I want, 1105 T, now for the fun part..... Trying to find one? Cheap....

As for anything Deere related..... Never ever happen in my world. I have some serious issues with them. So they are out . Not machine related, they make some nice stuff, it goes to the top, they will never get a dime from me.

And no mention of what this is for until I get all the goodies rounded up, i want to try and do this as in-expensively as I can. All the while keeping my eyes and ears open for possible deal on a nice New Holland scut .

Edited by skyrydr2, November 20, 2011 - 05:24 AM.

#13 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 08:14 AM

:camera:I'm not that far away.... might have to take a midnight ride with a flashlight, camera and flack jacket........ :bigrofl:

#14 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 10:19 AM

Keith, contact this guy. He has lots of engines not listed on ebay, and gets more in all the time. He's the guy Fred (Meangreen) got his Yanmar engine from now on his 2nd JD 430. He ships them to most places for around $125. bruce1966us | eBay

#15 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,501 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted November 20, 2011 - 10:27 PM

Not knowing your space limitations and application it would be hard for me to make suggestions. If I had the room to get the power I needed without the turbo that is the way I would go. Probably to a fault, I always try and design in as much "simple" as possible. I just helped my Son repair some damage to the front of his Turbo Diesel Dodge PU. That intercooler and associated tubing is big and heavy. Also I believe the amount of heat you will be generating under the hood is going to be substantial.

:wewantpics: