• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• Member No: 5067
  • 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 11:39 AM

This morning I went out to start my Case 224 and got a messy surprise. It started fine and I let it warm up a few seconds then put it into reverse. There was a hesitation then the pump made a slight whine. I immediatly shut it off, put the axle in neutral, and pushed it out of the garage. I was shocked to find the short hose to the cooler had a hole blown in it.

Earlier this year I replaced both hoses to the cooler becase they seemed a little soft and mushy. The hoses I replaced were 3/4" Dayco heater hose so I used the same thing. I'm thinking the previous owner may have had problems somewhere along the way and installed these hoses. I don't know if letting the machine warm up would have avoided the problem or the hose I used just wasn't up to the task.

What does everyone else use for these hoses, and how long should I let the machine warm up in 35* F weather?

Thanks projectnut

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 11:45 AM

The hose you are using is not correct. Heater hose is not compatible with oil and will fail in short order.
You need to use a hose that is compatible with the fluid in your system.
  • bhts said thank you

#3 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 11:54 AM

The hose you are using is not correct. Heater hose is not compatible with oil and will fail in short order.
You need to use a hose that is compatible with the fluid in your system.

:ditto:

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 12:09 PM

:ditto:

:ditto::ditto:

#5 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 01:44 PM

Thanks everyone. Now I know why the hoses I took off looked so new yet felt so mushy. I just got back from the local Fleet Farm. They have hose that looks identical to the hose I used but is clearly marked HYDRAULIC. Hopefully this afternoon I can get the mess cleaned up and some new hoses installed.

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 01:45 PM

Glad we could help.
  • projectnut said thank you

#7 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 01:26 PM

Well the beast is up and running again. It didn't take long to remove the old hoses. The new ones were a bit stiff in the cool weather so I gave them a shot of warm air with a hair dryer before slipping the ends over the tubes. I had to add 7 quarts of oil to the system which explains the big mess on the garage floor. I took it for a test drive then put it to work for a little while. It's now back in the garage until it gets called back to duty next weekend. Hopefully next time there won't be any surprises and I can get a few loads of wood hauled in a couple hours rather than a couple days.

Thanks again for all the help, projectnut