FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 11:10 PM

Well, I have put an end to it... I have been plagued with my battery going dead for no reason at all every now and then. I think I solved most of the problem with the new regulator, but every now and then I would have to charge it. A few weeks back when we had the snow it was stone dead. I charged it and plowed the driveway, and put her in the shop with the nice slow 2 amp charge over night. The next day I put her out so I could clean the shop and when I went to put it back, it was dead again! The last straw was when I tried to charge it and smelled sulfur and the battery was still dead.

I replaced the battery and bought a "T" handle disconnect for the battery cable. I will admit, the disconnect is the new one that Harbor Freight sells, but from what I hear they are pretty good. My impression is very high of the switch so far, it seems very nice. I may even pick up a spare just in case. I did mount it to the dash tower by drilling holes. Not what everyone would want to do, but I can weld them closed and they will disappear if the need arises. I also had to replace the cable from the battery and add a second one from the cut off switch to the starter relay.

However, now I can disconnect the battery from the seat and never worry about it draining down again. I have about $30 into the job if you count the new cables.

Here it is in the on position. Notice how great the color match is? I thought that was very cool! I think that I will switch out the 1/4-20 bolts for some OE Massey bolt's so that they match the tractor. Once the dash tower is painted, it will look much better. The light gray is primer applied with a q-tip on the edges of the drilled hole. The hole is very neat and a close flush fit around the switch. Keep in mind, the hole is just under 1" and will require a very large drill bit, or like I did it with a uni-bit. (step drill) Once the main hole was done, I installed the switch from the outside and used a transfer punch to mark the holes for the bolts. Very easy job to install this with the right tools.
Posted Image

And here it's turned off. Now please note, this does not remove for theft protection, it's just a disconnect switch. I, however, like that even better because it will not go missing!
Posted Image

Inside here is a tight fit, but everything clears just fine and is easy to access. I added some cut down vacuum caps to cover the studs. The hood latch is close, but will not hit when the closing plate is on. However it's much closer if that plate is removed to work on the vari-drive adjustment. Like I said, the switch appears very well made and does not feel cheap at all.
Posted Image

Edited by FirefyterEmt, November 17, 2011 - 11:19 PM.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 11:20 PM

I love the look of the new disconnect, and it's a good idea for show tractors too. Keep the kiddies from messing around when you're not there.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 05:18 AM

The disconnect looks good and will solve the problem. Have you been able to narrow down the cause of the current drain at all? You should be able to use an amp meter to identify where the current is going.

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 05:22 AM

I like that idea,and looks pretty good too.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 06:19 AM

You did a nice job installing it , looks factory ,Al

#6 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 08:10 AM

Nice job. Looks like it belongs there.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 08:15 AM

The disconnect looks good and will solve the problem. Have you been able to narrow down the cause of the current drain at all? You should be able to use an amp meter to identify where the current is going.

If you continue to have a weak battery, I've seen them get internal shorts. Could be your battery all by itself.

#8 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 09:56 AM

looks great. we have those on our pumpers & rescues for various reasons...lol.....is that wher u got the idea??

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 02:41 PM

Looks like a nice unit. Glad it went in well. The color match is a plus, I agree.

#10 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 05:45 PM

When I did this, I did put in a brand new battery as well. When I paint the gray, I will spray the metal part of the switch that sticks out, along with some Massey bolts with the MF stamping.

I think the problem I just had was a bad cell too, but I figured it was a good time to install the switch to end it for good. We did have battery switches in our rigs as well, but this is a common auto trick.

#11 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted November 19, 2011 - 08:55 PM

You did a nice job installing it , looks factory ,Al

Great to know that the battery is going to be up when you need it.