• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 earbleeder OFFLINE  

earbleeder

• Member No: 7468
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 11:05 PM

how can I find out the correct carb linkage placement and adjustment for a Tecumseh AH 520 in a toro snowmaster 20 model 38020 with a 1585 engine model number? From what I see it looks like a fixed speed and I saw in the manual on here where the govenor rod and spring go but the wear on the throttle plate is in a different hole and it looks like it was there for a long time.....someone threw this thing out with the carb hanging off. I rebuilt the carb and it'll run but is hard to start and the throttle plate dosent touch the crack screw at all....
thanks,

Steve

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 11:15 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk,
Wish I could help you, do you happen to have any pictures of the setup? That may help the other members come up with a solution.

#3 earbleeder OFFLINE  

earbleeder

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 12:21 PM

Here is a pic of the carb set up as the Tecumseh manual says if I'm looking at the right manual. It looked like the previous owner attempted a carb rebuild that failed. There was no rubber seat and the needle was in backwards. I rebuilt it and it was pretty straight forward. New adjusting screw orings, welch plug, needle and seat, spring, and diaphram with the gasket towards the carb body. The numbers on the carb seem to be 555 b16. I circled in red the hole that seems to be worn like this is where it ran previously. I am just unsure about the govenor rod placement hole and govenor spring adjustment. The gold "air director" on the back of the carb is missing also but don't know if that makes a difference. This looks to be a points engine. Thanks for the welcome and the help,

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• S5031007.jpg

#4 johnnymytuna OFFLINE  

johnnymytuna

• Member No: 7604
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 29, 2011 - 02:18 AM

Hi Earbleeder,
I have 2 snowmaster 20's with the same setup from what I see the spring is in the wrong hole, try the right side and closest to you(using your pix) that should still close the butterfly and balance it better.the Governor will adjust your rpm. if by chance it's too strong adjust the spring slide on the block. To clean out the needle jets remove both and spray carb cleaner into them and reset them.(close both all the way then turn 1 turn(open) for the jet closest to the engine and 1 1/4 for the other)

good luck

p.s. does it have spark?it's also an easy fix and 20.00$ in parts

Edited by johnnymytuna, November 29, 2011 - 09:33 AM.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 29, 2011 - 05:25 AM

Earbleeder,and johnnymytuna,welcome to both of you .Glad to have you guys with us.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,343 Thanks
  • 39,621 posts

Posted November 29, 2011 - 05:40 AM

Welcome to both of you! Glad to have you. Johnny, thanks for jumping in and helping right off.

#7 johnnymytuna OFFLINE  

johnnymytuna

• Member No: 7604
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 29, 2011 - 09:49 AM

Hi, it's me again
I uploaded a pdf. file to this site for your unit look in brochures and misc. the file name is: tosnowss.pdf

good luck

#8 earbleeder OFFLINE  

earbleeder

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 30, 2011 - 08:25 PM

thanks! I'll give it a shot and yes it has strong spark