Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 04:35 PM

Gents

Now that I have 5 tractors, and a bunch of attachments, I'm needing some way to store/keep them out of the weather.

Right now all of the tractors and attachments except the CC 1045 and Brinly Dump Attachment are outside.

My little garage just doesn't have the room to store much, plus it still has lots of 'stuff' that my FIL stored in there.

I'm giving some consideration to getting this puppy.
ShelterLogic Instant Garage™ Auto Shelter — 20ft.L x 10ft.W, Tan, Model# 62680 | Instant Garages | Northern Tool + Equipment

I figure that it should have enough room to store most, if not all, of my "goodies".

My initial thought is to keep CloudBurst IV, with the snowcaster installed in the Garage, and everything else in the 'shelter'. I'm also thinking that I might use some 'free' pallets and maybe some cheap particle as a floor in the shelter to keep everything (especially the attachments) off of the ground.

Your thoughts, suggestions, and experience with shelters like this would be gratefully received

#2 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 06:05 PM

It would keep your stuff out of the weather.Not sure how the fabric would hold up.Sounds like a pretty good idea.

#3 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 06:34 PM

They will not last in high wind. If you dont get high winds you should be fine.

#4 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 06:47 PM

A lot of people use those shelters around here. I have seen a few blow away, but I think if it was tied down good and you keep the snow off it, it should work.

Personally, I have a couple of things outside. I just throw a big tarp over them for the winter.

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 06:58 PM

A lot of people use those shelters around here. I have seen a few blow away, but I think if it was tied down good and you keep the snow off it, it should work.

Personally, I have a couple of things outside. I just throw a big tarp over them for the winter.

If you look at my sig, you will see that I don't have 'just a couple of things".

I have a spot that is pretty well sheltered against the wind, so that wouldn't be too much of a problem. Of course, I'd still stake it down properly.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 07:25 PM

I see a lot of them around here in the last couple of years. They seem to do the job but I don't know how long the cover will last. My guess would be 5 yrs or so. Still, it's cheap storage. I may have to get one myself. The pallets are a good idea with the particle board on top. If you want to work in there you need a solid floor.

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 07:29 PM

The large ones for farm use last for years & years, but likely have thicker/tougher fabric.

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 08:51 PM

I bought one last year and for the most part, I'm happy with it's performance. That said, it seems that tree sap is hard on the covering material. I have at least one pin hole in the canopy which is irritating, but easy enough to repair.

#9 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 08:59 PM

I have had that exact shelter for a little over a year now and so far I am pleased with it. I live in upstate NY, about three miles from Lake Ontario so I get a good bit of snow. I use a roof rake to keep the snow from building up on it and it's held up fine, actually looks the same as the day I put it up. I also have to snowblow around the outside of it to keep the snow from the roof from building up and pushing the sides in. I don't trust the anchors that came with it, I use ratchet straps and anchor it to the GT's that are in it, just don't forget and drive off while still attached. I may get another one before the snow arrives. I have seen them at K-mart cheaper and then you don't have to pay shipping.
Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com
  • OldBuzzard, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 1 other said thanks

#10 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 09:38 PM

Thanks broken2.

That's JUST the kind of info I'm looking for.

I'm right on the western edge of the lake effect snow belt in NE Ohio, where we occasionally do get a good bit. It's good to know that it will handle a decent amount of snow.

Good thing about the winter time is that I SHOULDN'T have to be going in and out of it all the time. I'll be keeping the "snow tractor" in the existing garage, where I can keep a trickle charger on it.

#11 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 09:47 PM

tractors.jpg
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 11:29 PM

wilberj

What size is that?

#13 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 11:48 PM

wilberj

What size is that?

I belive it was around the size of the one your looking at.

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 05:17 AM

Those Logic Shelters are great but they will tear. I have a buddy who had one to store his implements in. He had his secured well to the ground,but the wind tore the door. Then once the wind could get in,it beat the side quite badly.Now if you place it in a sheltered area,you should be fine.

#15 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 12:04 PM

I'm going to find out how well they work myself, I got the Shelter Logic "garage in a box" from Tractor Supply when they had it on sale for $299.00 sized at 20 x 12 x 8. I got the frame assembled last weekend and if the weather holds I will do the anchoring and skinning this weekend. I'm going to put stuff on my trailer and get it all under cover and out of the garage so we have working room this winter.