• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zr600 OFFLINE  

zr600

• Member No: 4208
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted November 16, 2011 - 05:42 PM

I have a 300jd gt that has a 317 series I kohler in it. I went to start it today the first time ever since i have owned it in cold weather. Well it didn't start. It just started last friday but it was also about 50 degrees out were today it was only like 20. I was just wondering how and were the points are? I thinking i should proably just replace them and what about the condensor? I looked in the kohler manuals and didn't see any pictures. Any help would be great too. ALso what do you guys use for oil in the cold weather?

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted November 16, 2011 - 07:00 PM

I would first take the air filter covers off & check to see that your choke is closing completely. If the cable isn't adjusted to close it all the way, then you won't get her to start in cold weather.
  • MH81 said thank you

#3 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,601 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 10:42 AM

FWIW - Even in the coldest of winter last year (-20 F/ -29 C) the old 110 k181 would fire on the first try. Between the new battery and getting the carb adjusted right I needed to remove all choke after 30 seconds of run time.

Me likes the sound of k181s on a quiet, cold morning.

As for oil, in the 110 I used 10w30 IIRC. The k301 in the 120 got Napa 15w50 full synthetic gets fall and winter work per the suggestion of the local small engine guru.

#4 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted November 17, 2011 - 11:54 AM

usually any manual will tell u whats recomended as far as oil & when. i use SAE30 in the summer & 10W30 in winter for just about all my GT's. works great & i live right next to lake Ontario wher it gets very cold! lol. i get it all @ Tractor Supply & its pretty cheap. pretty much any1 carries it i just like their brand. tip: fuel stabilizer in cold weather never hurts!!