• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Closha63 OFFLINE  

Closha63

• Member No: 3203
  • 4 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted November 15, 2011 - 09:36 PM

Well at the beginning of the year I purchased a 1614 that is in awesome shape. Came with belly deck and tiller and some rear wheel weights and 3pt hitch. Now i have been using it around the house for some small projects. I am trying to purchase a front snow plow for the winter season. Now a couple questions i have is the cat. 0 3 pt. can that be changed over to a cat. 1 by just changing the arms? And i noticed that when I changed the rear axle gear oil that it had a shinny/chunky mix to it. Is there an additive or something in them that causes this???? Also i am trying to find parts for this thing in-case i need them down the road, are they easily available and if so what are the web sites???

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted November 15, 2011 - 09:52 PM

Chunky doesn't bother me, almost every tranny sludges some... Shiny does bother me... That's possibly metal. Gears wearing, bearings going, don't want to scare you, and some "flakes" are expected.

Does it look like the oil has been changed before? If not, most of that could be from "wearing in"

One other thought, I remember my Grandpa telling me they used to have an aluminum and graphite powder additive for EP situations, the theory was the aluminum was softer than the steel and the graphite was slippery Obviously, not the best plan as they don't still do it. I've never seen it myself, but he used to work for the state DOT and they worked big trucks in cold temps, probably ran thinner oil in the tranny's back then, may be why they did it.

#3 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted November 16, 2011 - 06:44 AM

In answer to your parts question, some are getting harder to find. If memory serves me Mission Tractor ended up with the last of the factory parts, they have a web site.
Ebay is a good source for used parts, there are always pieces/parts listed. Many of the wear parts are "standard" parts that can be sourced thru local or on-line machinery oulets.
Need help looking for specific parts post up a list and we will see what we can do.
Peter

#4 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted November 16, 2011 - 12:04 PM

yea.....i'm deff gonna have 2 agree u most likely have metal shavings. change the fluid. run it for bout another cycle or less & drain it. see if the silver is still ther. if not, prob was an additive or brk in cycle. if ther are & about equal amount....u cd hae a prob friend......

#5 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted November 18, 2011 - 07:44 PM

I,ve drained dozens of them and most of them have had metallic looking oil.I think it might have something to do with machining and break in.I have never come across a bad bull gear or bearing in large finals but I have come across some bad ones in the smaller Jim Dandy's,they do not hold up as well.