broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted May 08, 2010 - 08:50 PM

I was plowing a garden with my mf12, caught a large rock and BANG! Snapped the axle. I was really disappointed, I thought I would strip a gear before I twisted an axle. In the axles defense this tractor has 26x12x12 super lugs filled with windshield washer/deicer and weights on the inside and outside of the wheels. It also looked like and was supposed to storm any minute so I was plowing in forth gear. When I got the transaxle apart I noticed that the axle looked defective. It looks like it has slag or something in it.The center feels rough like fine grit emery cloth. I hope it was a defect, I work the crap out of this tractor and don't feel like replacing another axle. I was able to pull another axle out of a parts trans and get it back together with no problems, replaced axle seals and detent springs&balls while I was in there. I plowed with it for several hours at the WNY Plow Day today and it worked excellent. Please take a look at the pics and let me know what you think, defective?

026.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 021.jpg
  • 022.jpg
  • 023.jpg
  • 024.jpg

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 08, 2010 - 09:03 PM

The grainy center is pretty normal. Hardness declines as you go deeper into hardened steels. What is odd is that it sheared in such a perfectly straight line. This happens if there is any machine work, say like a snap ring groove, or a drop-down on a shaft. Kinda like striking a line on glass...forms the breaking point. Here is a definite defective axle. Out of one of my Bush Hog D4-10's. Obviously didn't make it through the hardening process, or it wouldn't twist like butter!
DSC00053..jpg

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 18, 2010 - 11:02 AM

That does seem a little strange how that broke so straight across.

#4 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 05, 2010 - 09:19 PM

Pretty normal to be honest. I used to do a lot of off-road driving and would see snapped axle that look just like that all the time.

#5 justwalt OFFLINE  

justwalt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1318
  • 4 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted November 05, 2010 - 10:16 PM

In the close up photo, the tiny machined "step" that is cut square, (exactly where it sheared), is a stress riser.

If the step was radiused, top and bottom, it probably wouldn't shear "there", but somewhere else.

I think it was designed that way to save the trans.

after edit...

after looking closer, it looks like there was something wearing a fine line at the point of shear,
which also is a stress riser.

Edited by justwalt, November 05, 2010 - 10:29 PM.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 12:54 AM

Not that it has any bearing on the situation, but also in the close up picture, you see the "saw tooth" pattern around the outside edges. The "shiny" sections are where the cracks first began to propagate. The very slight spacing between the surfaces allows them to rub together and polish one another. I believe that Walt is correct that this was designed to break there to save the gears from failing instead.

#7 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 02:08 AM

This one's pretty much been covered, but I'll pitch in just to help the comfort factor. All well designed machines have built in points of failure. The sharp corners act as a focal point for the lines of stress that propogate through the structure, (hence the roman arch). Splines can be cut easily in just about any shop, gears are a whole 'nother critter. The break looks normal to me, and I would be thinking about the link that was made stronger to make the weak link fail. ie. I'd rather spin a tire than change an axle.