Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I just installed and used my snowblower. No snow, but I used it!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted November 15, 2011 - 08:00 PM

Well everyone, I had issues last year with my new rear mount 54" agco blower eating up my stones and throwing them into the lawn. So this year I bought 2-air dolly tires from tractor supply. I bolted them to the sides of the blower hoping to keep the blower scraper blade off the ground so it would eat up my stones. Well I set it all up and went to do a test run. Well it worked well in some areas, and then came the uneven/rutted area we drive on. Well the driveway was so uneven in this area and the blower scraper was just tearing into the driveway. So I said screw it!!! I kepted going back and forth using the blower to level the driveway. I figured I would dig the stones up now, then re-level, rather than just shot them into the yard, and have to rake them up in spring. So I used my blower already! As a box scraper!LOL!!

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted November 15, 2011 - 09:33 PM

That's the way... If the right tool isn't handy, use the handy tool for the wrong job. LOL

I'm the same way, of course, there is no better way to find the high spots than with the implement that you will be using.

I'm going to have the same problem this year, got a load of gravel and I just know I'm gonna be driving a self propelled shotgun the first time..

Edited by MH81, November 16, 2011 - 12:26 AM.

#3 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted November 15, 2011 - 09:50 PM

Well I back dragged the driveway with my fel. Then ran the blower up and down it to level off all the high spots. I hate shooting stones, and then raking them in spring. They also gouge the crap out of the auger housing. So I'm kinda glad i got it straightened out now rather than on the 1st snow fall.

#4 plowboy OFFLINE  

plowboy

TRACTOROLOGIST

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7340
  • 133 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted November 16, 2011 - 08:00 AM

thats genius....i love it. only problem is we seem 2 have 2 worry about tornados in our neck of the woods rght now more than snow....lol. 1 touched down in westfield & another in fredonia yesterday. WYRK claims temps down to 32deg tonight & snow by fri so we'll see.......

#5 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted November 16, 2011 - 09:35 AM

I had the same problem with my skinny little skids on my snow blower too. I have a 45 inch blower for my MTD. I found some 3 or 4 inch angle ( can't remember the exact size) and cut it to length, notched it so it was height adjustable, and mounted it so the angle went under the blower. Now it floats very nicely over the stone driveway and I only occasionaly scalp the stones along the edge, but thats usually operator error. Gary

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 16, 2011 - 11:19 AM

I don't have a blower for my tractor yet but have a walk behind blower that I use for heavy snowfalls and for backup. I set the skids to 1" or so of clearance so it doesn't end up eating rocks. I then will take the blade and scrape that last inch off the driveway. A new problem this year is that the private dirt road I live on has reached the point where the grader is turning up a lot of 2" stone. 2" stone is bad bad bad for a blower. I'll have to be really careful out at the front of the driveway. No snow in the forcast here yet. But it won't be long.

Edited by JDBrian, November 16, 2011 - 08:20 PM.

#7 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted November 16, 2011 - 05:45 PM

I dont have ski's, but I did mount the air dolly tires on the blower. It works perfect on level ground, and the blower scraper is about 3/4" off the ground, but because the center of my driveway is higher than the sides, it would just eat the stones up in the middle and chuck them into the grass. I hate cleaning up stones out of the grass in spring, so I figured I'd try to level the driveway now. hopefully it works as planned.