• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 08, 2010 - 08:23 PM

Seems every year the calves will get loose right as garden is in near harvest time, and after a good soaking rain. Guess where they congregate...you guessed it, in my garden. Last year I strung a single hot wire, but I wanted more protection. So I bought some woven wire fencing & a 12' gate. Already had T-posts and retired utilty poles cut down for posts. I started yesterday by digging the post holes & setting the wood posts. I also had to do both milking yesterday & spray thistles on about 60 acres, plus general chores, so getting that much done yesterday was a miracle. Today I was off farm duty, so I finished all the garden fence. Not bad at all, and I'm tired, but I enjoyed it a lot. Cool weather, so I could work like a madman! Worked most, but not all of the day as I took a break to run to town for Papa John's pizza. That's what the wife wanted for Mother's Day. So it was like "Happy Mother's Day to me too! LOL
After pizza I went back out & finished putting the clips on the posts. Getting dark, so had to alter the pics so you could see. The far left side of 5 strand barb wire was already there for the calf field. I added the 40' to left of the gate, then the 90' down from right of gate, and the far end of 50'. Had to pull all the T-posts that were there before as I moved fence a couple feet to allow for a water runoff diversion ditch that I also dug yesterday. Rainwater during last weekend's 11" of rain went across the garden & washed it severely. Don't want that happening again. I love days when I work hard but see huge progress! Here's a couple pics.

DSC00123..jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00124..jpg

#2 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted May 08, 2010 - 08:34 PM

Having grown up on a farm and built fences I can appreciate how much work you got done today Daniel! YOU DONE GOOD! :thumbs: Now the youngstock will be on the outside looking in.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 08, 2010 - 08:46 PM

The only bad part of the whole thing was the woven wire. I only needed 2/3 of a $190 roll, but a friend had that much left from enclosing his kid's playground, so saved me $120 with his price for what he had. That was a good thing. The bad thing is I liked 8' having enough!! So I spliced barb wire to every strand of the woven wire's end. Then I used smooth wire to turn that into woven barb wire. Calves won't get through it, and it looked good too. Just took me a while longer due to the 10 or so splices I had to make. Really I didn't mind so much. Working a while longer to save $120 is a bargain!! LOL

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 08, 2010 - 08:52 PM

Just found out why I did so good all late afternoon & STILL feeling like working......got me a hot Mocha while getting the pizza...caffeine, which I try avoiding, especially late in the day, but what the heck, I knew I didn't have to milk tomorrow morning. BUT, then Teresa informed me the 2 cups of coffee I had earlier in the afternoon.......yep, NOT caffeine free! I gots a buzz going! I could get more fencing done......anyone wanna come hold a flashlight for me!
:bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl:

#5 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted May 08, 2010 - 10:35 PM

It sounds like you may be up untill 3 am crusing the net tonight Daniel!

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,649 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 09, 2010 - 08:31 AM

It sounds like you may be up untill 3 am crusing the net tonight Daniel!

Stayed up till midnight, then trouble falling asleep, then waking a few times during the night. No caffeine for me today!!!!!!!!!

#7 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted May 09, 2010 - 08:40 AM

I wouldn't like to drink it all the time but that caffiene free stuff isn't so bad, if you double the doze.